Tractor Supply Ducklings

No real issues with disease. The bigger problem is the care they get from the "team members".
I started off with chickens and ducks from TSC and they were all healthy. But they came from stores that had good animal husbandry.

I was impressed enough that I took a part time job with them last year to supplement my retirement. Unfortunately, only myself and one other employee actually had any experience raising chicks. There were many deaths related to negligence and a lack of basic compassion. Heck there was even outright abuse such as squishing chicks with the feed and water founts.

I complained to the HQ and was let go. So was the other experienced person. Still, the chicks come from reputable breeders. Just get them early before any littles suffer from the potential neglect.

Good luck.
Oh wow!!! I knew most workers were inexperienced with livestock but neglect?! Oh wow! :( I had seen before that there were dead bantams in the pens! The one duck I got I wasn’t planning to get, but she wasn’t doing to well. Thank you for the feedback! I’m just concerned with diseases because I am also hatching baby ducklings myself and am worried about them catching something.

Oh wow!!! I knew most workers were inexperienced with livestock but neglect?! Oh wow! :( I had seen before that there were dead bantams in the pens! The one duck I got I wasn’t planning to get, but she wasn’t doing to well. Thank you for the feedback! I’m just concerned with diseases because I am also hatching baby ducklings myself and am worried about them catching something.
Take what I posted with a grain of salt but be aware that standards appear to be set by the local managers. The one I worked at had a manager that hated Chick Days and thought it was a burden. She was later fired for embezzlement. That store had many other issues as well. On a positive note, we had a regular customer who knew the shipment dates and would rescue dozens of chicks during Chick Days and give them a good home.

We both make regular visits to check on the stock. Any problems we may see are reported and if we can intervene, we do. Neither of us has had any disease related issues with our flocks. The worst I've seen this year is one or two with pasty butt. Not a real disease but a chick that needs a littl
Usually I don’t get chicks or ducklings from Tractor Supply, but I had issues with private breeders. My chickens were sick and made the rest sick. Expensive!
Same here. Craig's List "breeders" and FB flocks are kind of iffy at times. Get to know the source of your chicks if you can.

That’s why I don’t go near TSC until chick days are over.
Don't completely give up. Each store is different. I got a bunch of "sapphire gems" from my former store. Beautiful, healthy birds who are laying jumbo brown eggs. They integrated well with my existing flocks. They are just the dumbest birds I've ever seen. :D

Take what I posted with a grain of salt but be aware that standards appear to be set by the local managers. The one I worked at had a manager that hated Chick Days and thought it was a burden. She was later fired for embezzlement. That store had many other issues as well. On a positive note, we had a regular customer who knew the shipment dates and would rescue dozens of chicks during Chick Days and give them a good home.

We both make regular visits to check on the stock. Any problems we may see are reported and if we can intervene, we do. Neither of us has had any disease related issues with our flocks. The worst I've seen this year is one or two with pasty butt. Not a real disease but a chick that needs a littl

Same here. Craig's List "breeders" and FB flocks are kind of iffy at times. Get to know the source of your chicks if you can.
I’ve learned that ducks are hardier than chickens. Rarely have diseases, but there is still a chance. I’m hoping all of my ducklings thrive

I'm retired and I've recently thought that maybe when "chick/duck" days come to my Dallas, GA store I might want to volunteer at the "live" area to advise people at least about the ducklings. LIke the reason it's important to get more than one and why you should NOT let them go in the local pond when you get sick of them. What kind of food and waters to get etc.

I'm retired and I've recently thought that maybe when "chick/duck" days come to my Dallas, GA store I might want to volunteer at the "live" area to advise people at least about the ducklings. LIke the reason it's important to get more than one and why you should NOT let them go in the local pond when you get sick of them. What kind of food and waters to get etc.
I think that is very important! Many people get ducklings as a “toy” it’s sad. I love all of my animals. That’s why I took the extra duck Bc she wasn’t doing well.

Back
Top Bottom