Tractor Supply Feb 2021 Ameraucanas not pullets?

arkansas_ash

Chirping
Dec 30, 2017
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else had ordered Americauna sexed pullets from their local Tractor Supply this year? I bought six last February and as of two weeks ago, five of the six turned out to be males. I ended up culling the males as no one around these parts will buy male chickens. I know, i've tried several times in the past few years, even when it was a rare breed, placing my ad with local stores, the newspaper and Craigslist. The only people that buy the males, and only if the price is $2.00, or free, are the local hispanic folks. The man I buy raw milk from says he gives his male chickens to hispanic folks that come to buy his milk. They make chicken tamales with them and barter the tamales for some of the milk they get from him to turn it into soft cheese.
I was very dissapointed with my purchase at 4 dollars a chick. Tractor Supply shows that their success rate on the sexed chicks is 90%. I phoned them and they said that they could only give me more chicks to replace the males. I have a small flock already, and don't want to go through the money and time of raising more chicks.

Thanks for the feedback, sourland. That pretty much tells me what I needed to know.

Yep, my huband and I went to T.S. for pet food and layer pellets and saw the sexed pullet Americaunas. We had some hens several years ago and really liked them - how they laid, their personalities, compared to all of the other breeds we had tried up to that point, and my husband said he could sell the colored eggs when he goes to sell excess produce at the farmer's market. We already have four hens, golden Spitzhaubens, who are laying good and we didn't really need any more laying hens. But, the farmer's market idea sounded good. Oh well. Appreciate your comment.

Thanks for the feedback, sourland. That pretty much tells me what I needed to know.

Yep, my huband and I went to T.S. for pet food and layer pellets and saw the sexed pullet Americaunas. We had some hens several years ago and really liked them - how they laid, their personalities, compared to all of the other breeds we had tried up to that point, and my husband said he could sell the colored eggs when he goes to sell excess produce at the farmer's market. We already have four hens, golden Spitzhaubens, who are laying good and we didn't really need any more laying hens. But, the farmer's market idea sounded good. Oh well. Appreciate your comment.

If they spelled it Americauna, they're definitely Easter Eggers. Ameraucana is the correct spelling for the breed - any other spelling, unless done by accident, are generally Easter Eggers. Ameraucana fowl only come in certain colors where as EE can come in any color. What do they look like?

If they spelled it Americauna, they're definitely Easter Eggers. Ameraucana is the correct spelling for the breed - any other spelling, unless done by accident, are generally Easter Eggers. Ameraucana fowl only come in certain colors where as EE can come in any color. What do they look like?
Hi Fallenone05,
Yes. that's the spelling. The largest chick was barred, next one was white with black, next one in size was copper and black, the smallest two were somwhat ollive and tan light tan and brown colored, each had legs of gray and yellow, sorta looked almost green. I guess my golden Spitzhauben's can be considered Easter Eggers as their egg shell color is the faintest of baby pink. :)

img_20210226_123115604_hdr-79357170.jpg

Last edited:
The largest chick was barred, next one was white with black, next one in size was copper and black, the smallest two were somwhat ollive and tan colored.
Yeah they were EEs, not Ameraucanas.
I guess my golden Spitzhauben's can be considered Easter Eggers as their egg shell color is the faintest of baby pink.
Well, no. They are Golden Spitzhaubens not Easter Eggers.

Sorry you got so many males. Do you know where your TSC gets their chicks from?

Yeah they were EEs, not Ameraucanas.

Well, no. They are Golden Spitzhaubens not Easter Eggers.

Sorry you got so many males. Do you know where your TSC gets their chicks from?
Yeah, I meant that tongue in cheek. I used the wrong emoticon.
I'll post back after I ask. I'd like to ask them in person, so next time I'm there I plan to.
Thank you.

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else had ordered Americauna sexed pullets from their local Tractor Supply this year? I bought six last February and as of two weeks ago, five of the six turned out to be males. I ended up culling the males as no one around these parts will buy male chickens. I know, i've tried several times in the past few years, even when it was a rare breed, placing my ad with local stores, the newspaper and Craigslist. The only people that buy the males, and only if the price is $2.00, or free, are the local hispanic folks. The man I buy raw milk from says he gives his male chickens to hispanic folks that come to buy his milk. They make chicken tamales with them and barter the tamales for some of the milk they get from him to turn it into soft cheese.
I was very dissapointed with my purchase at 4 dollars a chick. Tractor Supply shows that their success rate on the sexed chicks is 90%. I phoned them and they said that they could only give me more chicks to replace the males. I have a small flock already, and don't want to go through the money and time of raising more chicks.
I got 2 Easter eggers in their store last week. I hope they are female.... time will tell. I guess.

Back
Top Bottom