Tractor Supply...pasty butt city

eponagirl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Quiet Corner, CT
I went to TSC today to get more chick grit and looked in on the chicks/ducks they had available...it was about 10am. Well, I was horrified to see several chicks with serious pasty butt...the kind that can kill. Their WHOLE back end was pasted up, not just around the vent. The water was totally soaked in big shavings and poop. When a sales person came over to see if I wanted some chicks, I kindly pointed out about the water and serious pasty butt on the chicks. His mood changed when he realized I wasn't buying any, but did take the water back to change it. I happened to ask the girl at the checkout about who cares for the chicks and she said they all were supposed to and that the guys are supposed to clean them up first thing in the am. The manager happened to be standing right behind her, so I mentioned the awful state of pasty butts and that people really won't want to see that. (Again, none of this was confrontational, just friendly concern)

The only thing I can say about this experience is that my freaking out about one little poop on my chicks butts seems silly in comparison (not that I wouldn't react like that all over again, never want one as bad as theirs!)

Is this normal for Tractor Supply?? I cringe when I go in there if they have chicks....

The lincoln one is actually pretty good when I have been there.
There is one with a little pasty butt once in a while, but nothing out of the ordinary.
I did notice that Orschlyns(another farm and home store) had plenty of shavings in their water.

Some seems better than others.

I go to one in Hanover Pa and they don't seem to care much and the chicks gets handled quite a bit and end up mixed up but on the other hand the one in Westminster seemed to be better and had strict rules about not handling the chicks and the tank was on the clean side considering

My TSC doesn't like to see me coming. I actually asked for the manager and explained that the chicks were way over heated, no water since the waterer was full of shaving and droppings, and the feed was dirty too. I was told they clean the 'pens' 2 times a day. First thing in the morning and mid afternoon. No one made a move to start cleaning and it was then after 10 AM.

I just hung around for a while and then asked for the 800 number to TSC Corporate offices.....

The 'pens' got cleaned then !

Seriously, I don't think I will be buying there next year. The only exception will be cornish x, and I would want to pick mine out the morning they came in......

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to say something! I usually am not the type to make a fuss, but these are live chicks, not regular shelved items. Perhaps TSC should hire local chicken enthusiasts seasonally to care for their chicks, so the regular employees don't have to be bothered. I expected some level of messiness, but when I saw 1/4 of the chick covered in it's own poop, that was over the top and sad!
sad.png

That is just awful, those poor little things! They prob don't give a care if they die, just throw'em away! I could just cry!
hit.gif

Way to go you guys, standing up for those that can't do it for themselves!!!!
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

It's not only TSC though. We have 3 feed stores within 30 minutes, the one within a mile I won't use, as thier animals are in awful shape, if they'll let an animal suffer, then they don't need my business. 20 minutes away is a store that's kept clean and the lady is willing to answer questions, so guess where I buy from?

Our local TSC apparently didn't keep chicks long enough this year to hurt them.. When I went in looking for chick starter, they were out...I was sorta surprised, but the girl at the register said they couldn't keep chicks in stock either and all their chicken-related gear was flying out the doors as soon as it came in.

Apparently, everybody is into chickens now...

Seeing as how I'm a noob myself, I can't much disparage the other johnny come latelys.....
smile.png

We have a local store, Lights at stone mill, and they had the same problem with a few. I pointed it out and the cashier went and took them out and cleaned them up. At least they did something, better than most.

At my tractor supply, out here in the country, there was only one chick I noticed with pasty butt. They got him cleaned up immediately. In fact, it was the worker who pointed it out to me when I was checking all the chicks for that very thing. Good for country TSC's.

Back
Top Bottom