Tractor Supply...pasty butt city

Yep! Same problem at my TSC!!! I complained to the worker... and when I went over to inspect, saw three trampled chicks!!! They shouldn't be allowed to have them if they don't have people to care for them!! It's insane!!!

I had a similar experience when i went to a TSC around here. They had the chicks not even a foot away from all kinds of stinky fertilizers, several dead chicks in the pens, no food, no water, and the live chicks were eating the dead ones. One had to have been in there at least a few days, it looked like a piece of beef jerky
sad.png
Several had bad injuries and the pens were sooo full the poor babies couldn't even turn around. I not only said something to the owner but i called an animal control investigator to boot!! When i mentioned to the owner the chicks were eating the dead ones he reached in the pen and pushed the dead ones aside not bothering to take them out and dispose of them!!! I have never been so disgusted in my life and literally cried the whole way home worrying about those poor neglected babies. I wanted to take them all home!!!! This was last year and i still haven't heard what the outcome was.

Last edited:
I wanted to share that I just sent the following email off to TSC Corporate. I doubt anyone will respond or maybe even read it, but felt the need to just put it out there....makes me feel a little less helpless in the matter.
hide.gif

"Regarding baby chicks/ducks sold in stores. I have recently read on a popular web forum (www.backyardchickens.com) several people commenting on the poor care and needless deaths of the chicks that are contained in your stores. It wasn't one particular store, but several in different areas of the country. Now generally speaking, I love TSC, but when I personally went into my local store and saw very dirty water and chicks with a dangerous amount of "pasty butt" on several chicks, it was VERY disconcerting to say the least. I can only pray that after commenting to the people that work there, that something was done. People have an expectation when they go into one of your stores: that you support farms and farm life. Please don't sell baby chicks if they can't be properly taken care of or hire a local chicken/duck enthusiast to care for the them specifically so the store workers don't have to manage their care. Some stores might be able to handle the chicks with great care, but the stores that don't are killing baby chicks needlessly and making people want to get their chicks elsewhere. Perhaps this will fall on deaf ears, but I beg you to take this issue seriously. If the trend continues, people may stop shopping at your stores or at least during chick season. It definitely tainted my experience and made my trip there shorter than I had originally planned. I am but one person, but as I stated in the beginning, others feel the way I do and perhaps some just aren't notifying you in writing.
I appreciate your reading this and beg you to enforce proper care of live animals in your stores or stop the practice all together."

I stopped at a TSC in Augusta, GA and had a similar experience. The TSC in Kimball, TN (our local store) does much better taking care of their chicks. I did notice their people do not know much about chicks. In Kimball you have to see who is working if you have questions one young girl their must raise chicks because she is the ONLY one that knows anything.

That's sad. Where I work, we have a couplen of great women who handle "chick season", and one or the other of them were there every morning, picking at chick butts. Gross, but necessary. We've got a sort of isolation area for any that are in bad shape.

This is only our second year with chicks, our location hasn't been open that long, but we're already hearing that people would rather get chicks from us than Tractor Supply or Coastal. Makes the ladies happy to hear that.

Wow, I think I'll stick with my local Co-ops for my chicks. The place I bought mine from were very helpful and even the younger kids that worked there new alot about chicks. I even nicknamed one young man the the "chickenman"! I sure hope the TSC that had the pasty butt chicks cleans up their act...seriously. That's awful:(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom