Tractor Supply recycled coffee grounds for chicken run and coop

Terri In Calif

Hatching
May 24, 2020
Hi everyone,

I‘m new to chickens, and we’ve just built our coop, and our Pullets will be ready for pick up in about 8 weeks. been Researching
recycled coffee grounds for run and coop flooring. Tractor Supply sells the item with rave reviews, but I’m a bit confused about the
idea of the product as many sites mention coffee grounds aren’t good for chickens. Because the grounds are recycled, I’m assuming
this is safe to use. Any feedback is appreciated. About to order it, but would love to hear from those who are using the product or have knowledge about the idea?

Thank you for your time and reply!
Terri Linn

It's brand new 'thing', so no long term results yet.
There's some raving here too, but I'm a skeptic.
Thought about trying them on my poop boards,
but I like the white PDZ granules for observation and ammonia absorption.
Probably smells great, if you like coffee aroma.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @Terri In Calif
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile,
so it shows under you avatar.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590353909743.png

It's brand new 'thing', so no long term results yet.
There's some raving here too, but I'm a skeptic.
Thought about trying them on my poop boards,
but I like the white PDZ granules for observation and ammonia absorption.
Probably smells great, if you like coffee aroma.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @Terri In Calif
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile,
so it shows under you avatar.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2157801

Thank You! Appreciate the info.

I bought some today at tractor supply. Going to try it, because not able to find hemp bedding nearby. It’s sold out everywhere, and paying for shipping cost more than the product. We will use it in the coop, and out side well, we haven’t decided just yet,

I bought some hemp bedding on Amazon to try! Couldn't find any locally either.

Yeah I considered ordering online (unlike the coffee grounds, at least that's an option) but I'm waffling since I'd mainly be using it for nest boxes, and that seems like overkill to order bedding just to put in nest boxes lol.

Back
Top Bottom