Tractor Supply Weirdness...

I agree with the OP, but TSC is getting a bit out of line. My wife stopped to pick up feed for me, and of course she had to stop and look at the chicks. Now I am overloaded with chicks at home and 2 bators full. No way she was getting more chicks. The clerk comes over and RUDELY informs my wife of the 6 chick minimum. So my wife RUDELY informs her that she was not &*#* buying any just looking and we have plenty at home. Well then she tells my wife she can buy less than 6 because we have chicks. WTH anybody could claim to have chickens or ducks at home. TSC obviously does not know about customer service.

BTW TSC all the independent feed stores say "Thank You, keep up the poor work"

I used to love going to Tractor Supply. After the way their staff dealt with me when I asked about chicks, both on the phone and in person, I will NEVER go back there. The only way chicks do well there is if they go fast. The employees act like it's a big chore for them. While I'm sure it gets old, taking it out on the customer isn't very good business. I bet TS kills more chicks than the people trying to buy 1 or 2. The silly 6 minimum law makes me want to start raising chicks to sell... ONE AT A TIME.

Quote:
Do you always paint a whole chain of stores because they have one bad employee? I am surprised you can find any place to spend your money! This time of the year the worker is probably sick of explaining the six peep rule even to people like you who should understand the reason for the rule.

I too would have done what you did. If I get an odd feeling about someone then it tends to be right. She was only interested in pleasing the child, not caring for the animal.

Breaks my heart when I hear, "oh I had a duck, rabbit etc when I was a kid but it died." Or "my daughter had a ... when she was little but she smothered it to death." What type of parents allow that? Do people seriously not watch their children.

Ok.... stepping off the soapbox now.

Quote:
Do you always paint a whole chain of stores because they have one bad employee? I am surprised you can find any place to spend your money! This time of the year the worker is probably sick of explaining the six peep rule even to people like you who should understand the reason for the rule.

OR... They are teenagers only wanting to make money to buy different things and really dont care about the silly chickens they get in. We do understand the reason for the rule: To keep irresponsible pet owners from buying them.
smile.png

somewhere about 8 yrs or so ago while I was certainly far from thinking homesteading and living in the big city, a distant cusin of mine saw the add for "chick days". she went and got her very uncontrolable 2 and 4 yr old kids each a duck, she kept them in a 10 gal aquarium! poor thinkgs I felt so bad forr them. Even before I knew about poultry I was not that stupid! they lasted 2 weeks, Im surprised they lasted that long really!

You absolutely did the right thing. I now how much work it is to have ducks and clearly those poor ducklings wouldn't had made it very long, if all she wanted to do was to please her 4 year old.
On a different note, I just went to our new feed store, our local Ace Hardware store is now also a feed store...yeah.. and they had magpie ducklings - buy one get one free - and the price was $6.99, so $3.50 each. That is a good price, but my DH told me no more ducks....he thinks they are too much work...which is funny, since he doesn't help me with the three we already have. Last week the same store had buy one chick get one free, so I bought two and of course got two, and they were only $2.99, $1.50 each -wow-.
So all of you TSC shoppers, I wish you were here in Houston....

Kycklingmamma

You did the right thing. Those poor ducks would have ended up dead or squished or something terrible. I do agree with the 6 chick policy on this end. However, I am an adult and I am licensed through the State to have healthy chickens. If I see one chick I would like to add to my flock at home, I should be able to. It is unfortunate that idiots like that woman have ruined it for all of us responsible chicken owners. Good job to you.

It is a State law that MANY States have passed... it is to deter the "Easter chick" sales to people who think they are cute and cuddly, and do NOT think they grow up.... or consider how to care for them etc...

IF TLC even OFFERS to sell less than 6 here, they can be fined...
I know only because the cops where in TLC during our last trip talking to the manager (our Neighbor) about it...
Some of the "Mom and Pop" shops do sell less, but if they get caught--- they will be fined, and possibly lose their license to sell live animals.

As for the rudeness-- It seems to be pretty widespread... and not just at TSC- it's at all retailers-- there are a lot of folks out there taking jobs they really do not want or like in order to supplement their cut incomes--
They are there because they HAVE to, not because they WANT to--- and it shows!!!

Back
Top Bottom