Tractor supply wood chips for litter?

chairboy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
North central PA
For the first two weeks I am going to use paper towels for litter when my first chicks arrive next week. Planning ahead I bought a bale of wood chips from Tractor Supply to use down the road. I noticed later that there was no specific indication on the bag what kind of wood was used and it raised concerns about the possibility of cedar being included. I called the store and no one knew what kind of wood was used to make the bale.

Has anyone bought these bales from Tractor Supply before for chicken litter use before?

You'd think they would put what kind of wood is used but they don't. I imagine what you have is wood shavings, not wood chips. I don't recall ever seeing a bag of wood chips at Tractor Supply, but then I have not been looking for wood ships.

Cedar shavings have a reddish color. They also have a pretty strong smell if you poke a small hole in the bag. If the wood shavings are white instead of reddish, they are probably aspen or pine. Those will be fine in a brooder.

I bought the same bag. I had to ask the cashier and she said they were pine. I think they are. They had no cedar smell and they were very light. HTH
Shelley in PA - mom to five 5 kids and 6 chicks

I've used the light colored shavings in with my chicks, but you do need to watch because occasionally, they do get a different brand in stock (at least at my store). I wasn't sure about it, so I opted to be on the safe side and not buy it.

Quote:
Shelley,
Which part of PA are you from? I'm in NW PA, between Clarion and DuBois.

Shelly and Quail QT,

Thanks for your replies. I too live in PA - north central in the little town of Mansfield. The bag is shavings - not chips as was written. They are light for the most part with no cedar smell but I agree that the source of the shavings should be made clear.

TSC also sells cedar chips for dog houses but the light colored ones are pine.
I have been using the pine for the deep litter method for several months. 8 inches deep, stirred frequently.( once or twice a week)

It sounds like you've had your question answered, but I wanted to chime in to say that I believe the off-brand TSC sometimes carries is also pine. I've used both brands, and the only difference as far as I can tell is the consistency. The off-brand is more "shavings" whereas the TSC brand is much finer. Both work very well for the deep-litter method jpittssr mentioned. [Deep-Litter = Almost No Smell] if maintained properly

If its the large white bag your good! It's all I use in my brooder. If you pick up a hand full or open the bag you should be able to smell if there is any cedar in there! If not you should be ok as well.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom