Tractors and Cornish X

bnentrup

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Central Indiana
I am wanting to start building my tractor(s) for my week old cornish x. I have built many (and sold a bunch as well) but this is the first time I have raised cornish. Will these guys utilize an upper deck/coop area on a tractor? I have been building 48-square feet tractors, that should hold 20 birds each. However, if they do not utilize (can't climb the ladder) the upper deck, I will save my money.

Can you guys brag a bit and post your tractors for your meaties? I am mostly interested in those holding 20+ birds.

The four tractors that I use now are each 8' wide x 8' long x 2' high. I have Freedom Rangers in three and CXs in the fourth tractor. You definately would not need an upper deck area for the CXs. The FRs always run to the creek and hang out under the trees during the day. the CXs NEVER leave the pen even with the door open. Low sides seem to help the CXs stay shaded and cool as they don't handle the heat as well as the FRs.

If you built an upper deck, and for some crazy reason they did use it, 75% of their poop would be contained in that upper deck, creating a need to be clean it out every single day.
I would advise a simple run, with one end covered so they can stay dry in a rainstorm, and covered when they sleep as well.
They do not need anything fancy. Just plenty of room to run and eat grass and roll in the dirt at will.

I have pics of a pvc tractor in this post:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=347875

That particular plan is fairly popular with BYCer's raising Cornish X. There's a link in the message trail to the plans (PDF download). It's easy to built and has a complete materials list and 'blueprint'.

I wouldn't bother with an upper level. I do think some would possibly use it, but for meaties it isn't worth the effort. Of course, you might add it to make the tractor more versatile for both layers and meaties if you envision having to use it for both at various times.

Here is the framework of mine, its a Salatin copy. I will post the finished pen tomorrow as soon as I get a picture of it. It is 10X12 and holds up to 100 birds. It is very lightweight. My tiny 100 lb wife can move it with the dolly just fine.

20444_dsc_0128.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom