Traded one of my roos for a pitiful looking frizzle hen!

Hehe! She is still scared of people, but she is beginning to realize that she will always have food, fresh water, and a place to hide from now on. I gave her some mealworms and as soon as I walked away, you could hear her chirping she was so happy! She normally squawks whenever anyone or anything goes near her cage. I'm working on building a small bucket nestbox for her to lay in or sleep in, whichever she chooses. She doesn't have a roost in the pen she is in now (it's only 3 ft high), and it bothers me to have her sleeping on the ground. Her poo isn't runny anymore (when I got her it was murky colored water, yuck!). It looks like she has eaten some of the grass (finally!). I don't think she knew what grass was, poor thing. If we had an ASPCA here I would report the guy I got her from, but alas, we do not, and our animal control would just kill all of the animals instead of trying to find them homes.

At least I was able to save her.

The guy is wanting some of my meat rabbits to take and sell at one of the farmers markets in a neighboring town. I don't have a problem with that, they are meat rabbits and I know that he won't be keeping them more than about a day anyway. I may see if I can trade him for other things he has. He has a donkey, a few boer goats, a peacock (which actually looks healthy, but is loose), an emu, a few guineas, more chickens (which are extremely small, but look ok otherwise), and he is running a puppy mill for small breed puppies.

Any ideas on how I can help the animals/bring him to justice without a chance at him retaliating against me? I don't have the ability to take in all of his animals if he did get them taken from him, and hate to even think of the shelter just killing the rest.

Thanks for all of the great ideas on how to get this little one healthy, and for understanding!

Emily in NC

I know where you're coming from, sister. I bought as many goats as I could out of what I consider poor care. Of course, I had to leave way more than I took and it made me feel like crap. Unfortunately, not everyone agrees on what constitutes poor husbandry practices. The farm I'm referring to is considered by many a good one. In fact, the amount of space alloted each goat was well within USDA dairy standards. It was not within mine!! I've finally come to realize that I've done everything I can reasonably be expected to do. Feeling bad about the other animals is nowhere near as productive as feeling good about the ones I took home. Good for you for doing the right thing!
Oh, and I'd buy her a little robe, maybe something in an oriental motif.

love.gif
I think you should name her Lucky and what else you can do is give her a big ol' hug from me. That just breaks my heart. Her condition is shameful.

A puppy mill?! This guy is a real gem isn't he.
somad.gif

eta: I wouldn't give him my rabbits even if they are for meat.

Last edited:
That's a great "before" picture. Poor thing. In a few months when she's looking all healthy and fluffy, post an "after" picture.

I wouldn't sell him the rabbits, but I know that they will be going to market the very next day. I can't sell the meat myself, and I'm not driving that far justto sell a few rabbits. His cages that he has set up for the rabbits look extremely clean (probably haven't been used in a while), and he showed me the bag of food he has already purchased. I checked it, and it was free of bugs, in a sealed container, and it smelled fresh.

I think that other than the dogs, he is trying to care for the animals. None of them look abused, just a little thin by my standards. The goats and donkey were friendly and very well cared for. He didn't have much of a yard, and therefore not much grass. He is on disability, and only has a certain amount of money for bills, people food, and animal food. He makes a little off of going to the market, but not much. Don't think I'm trying to defend him, just giving a little more background. I am not against people breeding animals (like dogs), so don't get me wrong on that, it's just that if you have more than 3 breeding females, there is no way you can spend time with each baby every day. That's why I stopped raising pet rabbits. I can't spend an hour each day with the kits, so they are wilder than pet rabbits, but they are great for meat rabbits. Occasionally I do get a request for a pet rabbit or two, and the people will go on a waiting list. After I get at least four people who want pet bunnies, I'll breed especially for that, not before.

If I couldn't properly care for animals, I wouldn't have them. We have a semi-large lawn (if it were my house, I'd be growing timothy and alfalfa hay instead of regular grass, but oh well), and the rabbits, chickens, and two ducks get all of the fresh grass they want, plus all of the hay they want, in addition to their feed ration. My animals are little pigs when it comes to feed.

Sorry for the small rant, lol.
I'm still going to try and get more of the animals away from him before I report him, plus I'm going to try to get pictures of some of his stuff. I don't like lying, but I have no problem lying to get pictures of this kind of thing. "Oh, my friend heard that you had (insert animal here) and was wanting me to take a few pictures so he could think about buying one." If I had the money, I would open a rescue for farm animals. There are plenty out there for dogs and cats (that do a great job by the way!), there just aren't many out there for more than one species of farm animal.

I exceed the USDA guidelines for everything I have as well, and I have the Eastern USDA office phone number on speed dial in my cell phone. I kept in contact with them very often when I was rescuing sugar gliders, since they are on the exotics list.

Thanks,
Emily

Quote:
I agree. Who's to say that his poor treatment of animals won't be reflected in poor technique for killing animals?

Luckily he sells them live, and they need to be healthy when he sells them.

Quote:
I'll be taking progress pictures, plus an after picture. I'm hoping to get her calmed down like my other chickens are. My others don't especially like to be picked up, but they do enjoy getting rubbed, and expecially like to eat out of my hands.

OH - as we say in the south "bless her heart". She looks like she drank too much last night and has rolled right out of bed with a hangover!
lau.gif

God Bless you for taking her. She needs someone to love her! Good luck and please keep us up to date.

Back
Top Bottom