Traded one of my roos for a pitiful looking frizzle hen!

Quote:
I would rather feed a more natural feed. Right now she is getting the same as all of my other chickens (2 1/2 parts whole oats, 1 part scratch grain, 1 1/2 parts wheat, 1 1/2 parts milo, and 1/2 parts rabbit pellets) plus she will be getting a little yogurt tomorrow, and dried crushed egg shells tomorrow for added calcium. She also got ~25 mealworms today for protein and she is on the ground and has plenty of grass and bugs to eat. I'll be moving the chicken tractor tomorrow when I get home from work. I've left it where it is for two days, hoping that she will get used to it. I also gave her a fourth of an over-ripe squash from our garden (organic).

Oh my. The tail feathers crack me up though.
At least she is being taken care of now. Jeesh!
Good luck with her. Post new pics when you get her spiffed up.

Her wing feathers are more like needles! When I picked her up to spray sunscreen on her back she stabbed me! I don't think she is a frizzle x frizzle cross. Her feathers look like they have been broken or pecked off near the skin. The rest of her feathers are quite strong. I just hope that she gets as spoiled as my white cochin bantam, Lucy (who is already jealous, lol).

I had a friend who hatched some frizzles that looked like that. It was due to Frizzle to Frizzle breeding. Totally a genetic thing. I think that the people who are serious Frizzle breeders breed Straight to Frizzle. She may never be totally feathered. Sounds like you will be a good owner though.

Thanks for all of the support and help everyone! I just got home from work, and no egg yet for today, but she is lounging around in the shade in her pen right now. I'm going to build her a nestbox that will fit into the pen she is in now, and I'll be giving her even more treats today. She doesn't scream as long as she used to when I go check on her. I guess she has figured out that I'm not going to grab her or corner her every time I come out.

I'm about 7 miles south of a tiny town called Albemarle, which is about 45 minutes east of Charlotte. The zip code to Albemarle is 28001 if anyone would like to look it up.

Bless her little heart...she is truly a 2 bagger, isn't she? It's gonna be slow going, but she'll be beautiful again someday. I'd give her lots of plain yogurt too. Have you wormed her yet? Maybe worm her and THEN give her the yogurt.

Torch that guy....
smack.gif

What would you suggest I give her to worm her if I wanted to use all natural stuff? Keep in mind, I'm only working 15 hours per week and cannot afford anything pricy.

Thanks,
Emily

PS - She dove into the yogurt, lol. It was my leftover raspberry activia yogurt. She got about 1/4 of a small container, so about one ounce.

Back
Top Bottom