Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Oh, god, I'm so freaked out! I just went out to check on Lisa and her four eggs, which are due to start hatching in two days. One of the eggs is missing! Completely, totally missing! I felt through the whole nest box and check the entire coop, upstairs and down, and searched the yard. No egg! Is it possible she ate it? There's no sign of any shell or--worse--blood or feathers. What could have happened?!

Oh, god, I'm so freaked out! I just went out to check on Lisa and her four eggs, which are due to start hatching in two days. One of the eggs is missing! Completely, totally missing! I felt through the whole nest box and check the entire coop, upstairs and down, and searched the yard. No egg! Is it possible she ate it? There's no sign of any shell or--worse--blood or feathers. What could have happened?!

That is VERY weird. If she ate it there definitely would have been at least a shell, or blood. I've never had an egg disappear before, how odd!!

Could a predator have stolen one while she was off the nest?? That's creepy :( sorry for your lost egg

I've been having squirrels invade the nest boxes and eat in place or else try to take the egg..found a broken egg in the middle of the coop floor and even had one snatched out of my egg basket that I hung up on my apricot tree adjacent to the coop while I sat in the closed coop to watch the chicks. Grrr. I'm blaming squirrels because it was during the day and the basket was hung on a narrowish branch that only could accommodate a smaller animal. The nerve...

Could a predator have stolen one while she was off the nest?? That's creepy
sad.png
sorry for your lost egg

I've been having squirrels invade the nest boxes and eat in place or else try to take the egg..found a broken egg in the middle of the coop floor and even had one snatched out of my egg basket that I hung up on my apricot tree adjacent to the coop while I sat in the closed coop to watch the chicks. Grrr. I'm blaming squirrels because it was during the day and the basket was hung on a narrowish branch that only could accommodate a smaller animal. The nerve...
I don't think a predator could have gotten to the nest. My coop is very secure and in a fully fenced yard, with a 110 pound dog who spends his days guarding "his girls." I think only a chicken could have taken it. There are four other hens besides the one who is sitting on the eggs, but the other girls haven't shown any interest in the eggs. The broody hen has (I believe) eaten eggs in the past, but she's always left at least part of the shell behind. I've been taking her off the nest every day to eat and drink, but the past two days, I've left her alone, with food and water just outside the nest box. I haven't seen her leave the box, though, so I'm wondering if she just got really hungry. I just pulled her off the nest and put her with the food and water. I think the chicks may be in greater danger from a hungry mom than from being left alone for half an hour.

I'm so unhappy about this!

Off topic but I seem to hang out on this thread the most..
There was a tiny nest in my front porch with 4 almond sized eggs a week ago. They must have hatched recently. They make chicks look like beauty queens

I don't think a predator could have gotten to the nest.  My coop is very secure and in a fully fenced yard, with a 110 pound dog who spends his days guarding "his girls."  I think only a chicken could have taken it.  There are four other hens besides the one who is sitting on the eggs, but the other girls haven't shown any interest in the eggs.  The broody hen has (I believe) eaten eggs in the past, but she's always left at least part of the shell behind.  I've been taking her off the nest every day to eat and drink, but the past two days, I've left her alone, with food and water just outside the nest box.  I haven't seen her leave the box, though, so I'm wondering if she just got really hungry.  I just pulled her off the nest and put her with the food and water.  I think the chicks may be in greater danger from a hungry mom than from being left alone for half an hour.

I'm so unhappy about this!

:hugs
I hope your wrong about the broody eating the egg, but they do gain weird eating habits. my broody either didn't seem to get it that there was food next to her ( unless I hand fed her) or she wasn't interested in eating most of the time. I just can't imagine her eating a whole egg without a trace. That stuff is messy even at day 19 right? Come to think, the yolk is still unabsorbed so it would be difficult to snarf it without spilling.

Eeep! I candled my eggs tonight and 4 of the 12 TJ's eggs are developing. Considering they were almost 2 weeks old when being set I am going to say this is a success! Hopefully they all make it to hatch day. :) I also saw movement in some of my other eggs, how exciting is that!!

Eeep! I candled my eggs tonight and 4 of the 12 TJ's eggs are developing. Considering they were almost 2 weeks old when being set I am going to say this is a success! Hopefully they all make it to hatch day. :) I also saw movement in some of my other eggs, how exciting is that!!

Nice!

Back
Top Bottom