Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Pics
After this hatch I've gotta give my borrowed bator back so I'm planning on trying my hand at building a minifridge bator. Defintiely thinking about checking into TJ's eggs or hitting some of the farmer's markets around here to test it out. SUPER excited to try out this little experiment
big_smile.png

Well, my chicks have all been hatching yesterday and today. I had some the supermarket, and some from a local farm. Surprisingly, the hatch rate for the supermarket eggs was higher than the local farm eggs!
My supermarket eggs- 9/11 hatched
Local eggs- 8/12 hatched

Here are some pics of my supermarket hatch. They are supposed to be RIR/white leghorn crosses. Some of them are spotted! Why might that be?

63929_imgp0237.jpg

63929_imgp0240.jpg

63929_imgp0252.jpg

Hi,
This just cracks me totally up! That grocery store eggs would hatch. Like I posted else where here I worked for 3 days at an egg farm and there wasn't a rooster in sight. Are you folks hatching the ones that "say" free range or cage free?

Trader Joe's sells fertile eggs with "Fertile" printed on the green-with-red-print box. Some folks are trying it with free-range eggs as sometimes the flocks do have roosters in them (and sometimes they don't). Either way, it is a challenge and a gamble when you're dealing with eggs that have been washed, refrigerated and shipped, which is what makes the successes in hatching so rewarding.

Geevee, a couple of mine had spots too, and one had a rust colored mask on its face. As they feathered out all of them turned out to be various shades of white and cream. Of 8 hatched chicks 1 turned out to be a little roo and 7 were little pullets. I don't care what anyone says about 'inferior' store-bought chicks...they had the best personalities!

lol.png
Yes. I hatched a couple of dozen Australorps & some Golden Comets [Sex-links], as well as some of the. above, mixed. They lay pretty brown eggs. The mixed ones were white w/black spots. They are LF so went to live on a farm.
thumbsup.gif

I just saw fertile eggs at my local health food store - brown eggs, so probably production red/etc. Was tempted, but I'd have to keep them refrigerated until friday when another few eggs are coming my way. The box said 'best by September 3' and they were refrigerated at the store. I didn't buy them, but out of curiousity, anyone think they'd still be good?
smile.png

I thought of all you peeps in the grocery store yesterday! Giant Foods did not have any "fertile" eggs, as marked, but I did see some "Free Range" eggs, that made me pause. I started to feel awkward standing in front of the cooler, grabbed some beautiful deep brown non-fertile eggs, and went on with my life. I do not need more hatching eggs...
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom