Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Have you candled them to see if they were developing ? I've been reading around and a lot of people were having issues with them dying or not developing at all

I just candled. Terrible. Out of 3 dozen I left 14 in and I feel they are very questionable. The ones I pulled were mostly clear and with maybe a tiny bit of development and majority have air cell issues like detached and saddle shaped, etc. I had two later quitters and two blood rings. I feel like they were scrambled.

I just candled. Terrible. Out of 3 dozen I left 14 in and I feel they are very questionable. The ones I pulled were mostly clear and with maybe a tiny bit of development and majority have air cell issues like detached and saddle shaped, etc. I had two later quitters and two blood rings. I feel like they were scrambled.
oh no !! I hope you get some to hatch ! When are they due ?

oh no !! I hope you get some to hatch ! When are they due ?

Ya I'm feeling like there's a lot of factors and even if this fails I think I now won't attempt any hatches until I buy a fan and another thermometer/hydrometer. I think hatching with sketchy eggs and incubator results in almost zero hatches. Tons of good eggs and a bad incubator leaves me with lots of chicks. I just hatched 18 chicks (from 3 dozen eggs). It's good practice. I for sure see embryos with development and movement but very few. I'll keep you posted. They are due September 29th

Ya I'm feeling like there's a lot of factors and even if this fails I think I now won't attempt any hatches until I buy a fan and another thermometer/hydrometer. I think hatching with sketchy eggs and incubator results in almost zero hatches. Tons of good eggs and a bad incubator leaves me with lots of chicks. I just hatched 18 chicks (from 3 dozen eggs). It's good practice. I for sure see embryos with development and movement but very few. I'll keep you posted. They are due September 29th
Don't be hard on yourself if you don't get a good hatch. I've incubated TJ store fertile eggs twice under a broody both times and first time got 8/12 and the second time 2/12. It might have just been the way that shipment of eggs was handled. If your incubator was reliable in the past with the old thermometer it was probably just the eggs and not your hatching equipment. I for sure you'll get a hatch and I'll be here waiting to see what you got !

They look like redstars, common for store eggs combo of leghorn, and RIR they will be brown eggs. The white egg was from the mother, (leghorn.)
They are definitely not red stars. I have a couple of them and these look totally different.

This is one of my red star hens.

This is a TJ pullet.

The lighting makes the TJ girl look darker than she is, it's a buff color, nothing like the red on a red star and the rest of her is very white.

Don't be hard on yourself if you don't get a good hatch. I've incubated TJ store fertile eggs twice under a broody both times and first time got 8/12 and the second time 2/12. It might have just been the way that shipment of eggs was handled. If your incubator was reliable in the past with the old thermometer it was probably just the eggs and not your hatching equipment. I for sure you'll get a hatch and I'll be here waiting to see what you got !
I only got one out of 24 the second time I incubated TJ eggs and they were less than a week old. You never know what has happened to those eggs before they go home with you! Those loose air cells say just how rough a time they've had.

They are definitely not red stars. I have a couple of them and these look totally different.

This is a TJ pullet.

The lighting makes the TJ girl look darker than she is, it's a buff color, nothing like the red on a red star and the rest of her is very white.

I only got one out of 24 the second time I incubated TJ eggs and they were less than a week old. You never know what has happened to those eggs before they go home with you! Those loose air cells say just how rough a time they've had.

Trader Joes says that they use hy-line white hens and hy-line brown rooster.

This is a TJ pullet.

She is gorgeous! I wish some of mine came out looking like that.

me too. My TJ chicks were all white and grew to be very leghorn-y. I wish mine came out looking like that.

Back
Top Bottom