Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by GardeNerd, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    I did a safeway egg a few years back and it hatched to be a meany lil rooster [​IMG] but it looked just like a leghorn lol [​IMG] He was sweet...til he hit puberty LOL

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm going to have to drop by both Safeway and TJs. Next time I put some in the bator, I'll become a member of the TJ Egg Hatching Cliub.

I just love Joey,

... but that roo looks NOISY!

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:According to the trader joes site, your closest store is 55 miles away in Chapel Hill, NC. I've driven farther for eggs [​IMG]

4. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    OK gang... I'm doing it again! I was at Trader Joe's yesterday, and couldn't resist looking at the eggs. They were just loading the shelf with new fertile eggs, only 7 days old. So, I set a dozen last night. Our little TJ could use a few leghorn friends! Wish me luck!

5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It was your little experiment that got my daughter and I thinking about hatching grocery store eggs. Trader Joe's ended up being a success for us since there are so many local stores and their fertile egg supplier is only about 30 miles away from us. There are many times I see eggs 3 days old in our local Trader Joe's. From the post I have read, it looks like fertile eggs in Trader Joe's is a West Coast thing.

Anyone have recent pictures of the TJs chicks or chickens to post? I took this one yesterday.
    [​IMG]

6. dovecanyon

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Sure do! Here is our TJ... she's 7 weeks old today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Just out of curiosity, what was the oldest TJ eggs, you guys have set? I just threw a dozen 10 day old eggs in my bator to test it (I just finished making it). 10 day was the freshest they had, so for $2 I thought why not try it.

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Whole Foods has fertile eggs too. I was there on Valentine's Day and had to slap my own hand away! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  9. dovecanyon

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    My TJ hatched out of eggs that were 3 weeks old when I bought them.

10. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    YAY! [​IMG] I just candled my TJ eggs, and out of the 12, ten day old eggs, I have 5 developing!!!! [​IMG] YAY!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by