Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

could find no 'fertile' eggs, but found three cage free roaming brands. We are gonna check a few for fertility and a breakfast omelet:) ....I live in NJ, so if anyone has any recomendations let me know. Thanks. Maybe I should mail order a few actual 'fertile' eggs for him and refridgerate.

re: culling roos

as a more useful alternative than just tossing carcasses.... Call your local herpatologist (reptile store) as often the big snakes eat chickens. Grisly, yes, but not wasteful.

What an excellent suggestion! We have a local Raptor Rescue, I wonder if they would take them, too?

could find no 'fertile' eggs, but found three cage free roaming brands. We are gonna check a few for fertility and a breakfast omelet:) ....I live in NJ, so if anyone has any recomendations let me know. Thanks. Maybe I should mail order a few actual 'fertile' eggs for him and refridgerate.

Whole Food sometimes has fertile eggs (mine does not). I have several 'natural grocers' in my area-Vitamin Cottage and the Food COOP are the only ones that carry fertile eggs. I googled 'natural grocers' and there were several that came up in NJ.

I wold recommend you get on the phone and call around and see if any of them have any fertile eggs. Don't call them hatching eggs, they won't understand. If you are close-by, just drive over because the stocker may not take the time to really look to see if they are there and you may get an erroneous answer. Its a pain but its the only way to be sure.

If you do decide to get some and refrigerate don't get them shipped because you'll never know if it was the shipping or the refrigeration that was the problem if there is a failure to hatch. Surely there are farms in NJ that have fertile eggs.

Last edited:

cage+free1.jpg

a bit hard to find a rooster in these cage free/free range pens. unless they proudly advertise fertile, all you have is omlettes

Yah, it sucked. I wish I had thought of that, Peep-Show! I would also like to get to a place where I can raise the roos and eat them as well. It's one of the appealing things about Crevecoeurs for me, that they are supposed to be good eating, but my neighbor is complaining about noise. There is another roo in the neighborhood, hope she doesn't think that's mine 'cause mine are all in the house now, trying not to disturb her. I shouldn't have let myself fall in love with these two, but they're so sweet! At least they get along well in the house, and with these diapers on, they make fun pets running around freely. Only thing is, I know they miss their ladies :(

Whole Food sometimes has fertile eggs (mine does not). I have several 'natural grocers' in my area-Vitamin Cottage and the Food COOP are the only ones that carry fertile eggs. I googled 'natural grocers' and there were several that came up in NJ.

I wold recommend you get on the phone and call around and see if any of them have any fertile eggs. Don't call them hatching eggs, they won't understand. If you are close-by, just drive over because the stocker may not take the time to really look to see if they are there and you may get an erroneous answer. Its a pain but its the only way to be sure.

If you do decide to get some and refrigerate don't get them shipped because you'll never know if it was the shipping or the refrigeration that was the problem if there is a failure to hatch. Surely there are farms in NJ that have fertile eggs.
Thanks, I have called a couple of grocers including TJ, but no luck so far. Will keep it up and just see what happens. Like you said, may be best to take a ride out and check out for myself.. About an hour drive to do that, but worth it.

Hello! Brand new to the forum but would LOVE to try this. Does anyone have any idea where we could find fertile eggs in massachusetts or even southern NH? I know our trader Joe's doesn't have them and the one whole foods I went to I couldn't find them there either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom