Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Well, I still have three eggs today, so no more have disappeared. I'm still really bothered by the missing one. I've searched the forums here, and it seems to be a not terribly uncommon thing--and the culprit appears to usually be the broody. Ugh.

Today is Day 21 for one of the eggs and Day 17 for the other two. I've been checking all day, but no peeping yet. It's like waiting for labor to start, I swear!

I lost a chick to what I think was a cat. It happened while my dog and I were in the backyard and all I was able to glimpse was a fluffy grey tail disappearing over the retaining wall. No feathers, no trace was left. I can't believe how silent and fast it was. After doing a head count I figured one of the males was taken, so now I think I'm down to two of each. I've never named these chicks and frankly can't tell them apart aside from the spotted one, which I think is a pullet. She hurt her leg early on and I was afraid she had a slipped tendon but she mended fine and I have a soft spot for that one. I think that cat will be back for more.

I lost a chick to what I think was a cat. It happened while my dog and I were in the backyard and all I was able to glimpse was a fluffy grey tail disappearing over the retaining wall. No feathers, no trace was left. I can't believe how silent and fast it was. After doing a head count I figured one of the males was taken, so now I think I'm down to two of each. I've never named these chicks and frankly can't tell them apart aside from the spotted one, which I think is a pullet. She hurt her leg early on and I was afraid she had a slipped tendon but she mended fine and I have a soft spot for that one. I think that cat will be back for more.

Cats are sneaky little devils. We have one that is an indoor/outdoor cat, and even with a bell on his collar he manages to routinely kill birds and eat them on our front door mat. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
So, another question: it's now late on Day 22, and no sign of hatching from the one egg due to hatch today. I'm wondering whether the 21 days is really accurate for chicks hatched under a broody hen, considering the constantly-changing temperature/humidity levels, compared to an incubator--especially since my hen has been off the nest for at least 15-20 minutes every day (I've been making her eat and drink out of the nest box). I know lower temps can affect hatching time; can anyone tell me from experience whether eggs hatched "naturally" really take 21 days? I'm not going to remove the egg for at least a few more days in any case, I just want to know what to expect, if that's possible!

My TJ chicks are 3 weeks old today. Two have little combs that stick about 1.5mm above their heads and are starting to take on a peach color. The other two have yellow combs that are visible but do not stick out above their head at the point they originate (farthest from the beak), so I'm hoping those are the girls. Will try to get pics for week four but it's really hard because they are always moving and they won't let me touch them.

IT'S HATCHING! My first TJ chick is hatching! My first chick ever! Yay!

Congrats!! Definitely post pictures.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom