Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Yesterday evening I put Joey back in with Lisa for the night. I sat and watched for quite a while, since I wanted to make sure she wasn’t going to hurt him. As I watched, I saw her pecking at his beak. At first I was worried, then I realized she was grinding food into little pieces and poking them at his beak! I had no idea chickens did that! I saw Joey eat from her beak. Then, he was pecking at the hay in the nest box, and Lisa picked up one of the seed heads, nibbled on it, and dropped it in front of him. When he didn’t eat it right away, she bit of a little piece and poked it at his beak. I got all excited and put a handful of laying mash in the nest box, and they both went to town, Lisa stopping every once in a while to poke more food at Joey. I decided they were okay and left them alone. This morning I found Joey sleeping under Lisa’s wing, on top of her foot. She’s a Cochin, so she has big, fluffy feet. It must be like sleeping inside a down comforter for Joey. So sweet. Lisa is still sitting on the other eggs, so I’m going to pull Joey out again in a little while and let him spend the day in the brooder again.

Vetaflame-
Congrats on your baby!
big_smile.png

When you are raising babies in the same coop and run with older laying hens you need to put the whole flock on starter mash or crumble, and keep a separate container of oyster shells for the older girls free choice- but out of reach of the babies.
Laying mash is not good for babies- it has too much calcium and it can harm them. The older hens are fine on starter and they seem to love it- kind of like candy to them. Then when all the babies are up to laying age you can change back.

Okay. The feed store guy said it wasn't necessary, since my flock free-ranges. But if they need starter mash, stater mash they shall get!

Vetaflame -----If your older flock is getting fed the laying mash somewhere the babies cannot get to it- it will probably be fine. I was just mentioning it to you because you said you gave the baby the laying mash. Have fun with your new flock members! Such cute little fluff butts!
love.gif

Last edited:
So, I just looked up how to sex White Leghorns. If Joey is a Leghorn and I did it right, she's a girl! Yay!

I just went out to check on Lisa and make her eat and found this:

Hatching day for this little girl was supposed to be tomorrow. The shell was still in the nest, with some yolk smears, and some of her feathers were still damp! I was going to put this little one in the brooder, but changed my mind and gave her back to Lisa, who had already returned to the nest by the time I took the picture. She was rather indignant and promptly tucked the baby back underneath her. This one will be called Chilly. Joey is in the brooder again today, but I'll put her back in with Lisa and Chilly this evening.

Back
Top Bottom