Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

I take out chicks as they hatch, it keeps the mom on the eggs, otherwise she tries to find food for babies and leaves eggs.
That's what I suspected, which is why I had the brooder ready and have been pulling the first hatching out during the day. But I do want Mama to raise them, so I'm afraid to take them away for too long. It may be moot anyway--the last chick is hatching!!!

I put 6 fertile eggs from stop & shop here in NY under my broody. We'll see what happens.
fl.gif

I have had chicks inside for 2 weeks and gave'm back mom was still interested in babies. I like to have them in house couple of days get them walking good- still leave eggs under mom so she is broody, at night slippe'm back under they will be fine.

**** it. The last chick didn't make it. It looks like she made it half out and maybe got stepped on. The shell was crushed around her and she was dead. :(

I'm glad I got two healthy-looking chicks, though. They're running around the nest box. I just removed the dead chick, so maybe Lisa will take the others out of the box now.

I'm testing out my brand new Brinsea with some TJ eggs. I set them yesterday. Going to try not to get too hopeful until I can candle them and see some veining. Fingers crossed I get to welcome some little Leghorns into my flock.

I'm testing out my brand new Brinsea with some TJ eggs. I set them yesterday. Going to try not to get too hopeful until I can candle them and see some veining. Fingers crossed I get to welcome some little Leghorns into my flock.
Wishing you lots of luck! My TJ babies (Joey and Chilly) are 3 and 5 days old now, and doing beautifully with their adoptive Cochin mama. :)

This is one of my four week old TJ chicks. Wondering if you think it's a pullet or roo? I'll post in the 'what gender' thread in a week, but thought you guys may have more experience since these guys are a weird mix of second-gen hyline whites and not a "real" breed:

Mom hen is already getting the kids to perch over-night (to my surprise! I accidentally found out after letting them in later than usual due to the heat and peeking in before I went back to the house):

Back
Top Bottom