Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

In AZ the Winco is located in Gilbert, Glendale, Mesa and Phoenix.

Winco is located also in the following states:

Texas
California
Idaho
Nevada
Oregon
Utah
Washington

Awww. I want one in Tucson!

All two dozen of my TJs eggs are clears (Day 5). Boooo!
Well that's a bummer!
hugs.gif
You should try again, there's a New Years Day hatchalong
wink.png

My store bought eggs just hatched! :) picked them up at a local natural food store-it was a complete mystery what I was going to get. Here's my two little ones. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f...obile Uploads/20141211_101116_zps8a74368a.jpg
We tried sexing them and are pretty sure we have a boy and a girl. The boy we (appropriately) named Omelet. The girl is Sassafras.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f...obile Uploads/20141211_012200_zpsae28c303.jpg
When we put them in the brooder Omelet decided he would just sleep with his feet up in the air, and Sassafras cuddled up with her pink bunny.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f...obile Uploads/20141211_202239_zps7de58b9d.jpg
Any guesses as to what breeds they might be? They look like EEs to me, but I really don't know.

Hi, cute chicks - no way I can tell what they are, though. You'll need to wait a number of weeks for that. Congrats on the pair.

In response to some earlier emails, hatching difficulty is normal. It's sad, but it happens. I guess that's why chickens lay so many eggs. But with that said, you can get some great chickens from store-bought fertile eggs, especially if you do certain things.

One, as you've probably read, is to learn to decode the 3 digit number code on the carton saying when they were laid. We found some the other day at TJ that were only 4 days old, but we've hatched eggs that were maybe 9 days old before.

Okay, our first hatch - we had some incubator problems (homemade bator w/ water heater thermometer that varied a lot) - and iirc we hatched 2 hens and 2 roos. The others either died or didn't develop (a lot of the eggs didn't develop). We researched here on BYC how to do it (you should, too - there are great threads on precisely how to hatch TJ or other store fertile eggs) - but we only got 4 of 12 to live.

We realized at least half of the eggs in our first batch of 12 didn't develop and probably had loose air sacs. Since we wanted more than 2 hens, we tried another batch of 12, but this time I made my wife candle the eggs in the TJ store. We used a halogen flashlight and a coat to make a dark area to candle the eggs in. We swapped between several cartons and got 12 eggs w/ good sacs.

Eight hatched, but only 2 were hens. We had to give away the six boys, but now we had 4 white Leghorn hens that laid each about 5 eggs a week - plenty for us.

You can play the egg shape game, but there's no proof it works.

Also, my wife assisted several of the chicks, and it worked for the most part. Read BYC a lot for the when to assist threads - they are good.

Well, our 4 TJ Leghorns are getting old now, and one got sick or ill and, though we brought her inside and did what we could for her - she died. They just don't live long, it seems. One was broody, and so was one of our little Seramas, so we got more eggs. The Serama is sitting on two, and the rest we had to rush in to the incubator because the Leghorn didn't sit on them - even though she seemed broody. Not sure if this batch is going to work. The Serama's are good little chickens, and she may be able to handle hatching 2 Leghorn eggs - she's trying. If our bator works and if we didn't spoil them, we may get more Leghorns soon.

It doesn't cost much to try TJ eggs. Yes, it's heartbreaking when they die, but they had a chance - and had someone else bought them, they would have been omelettes. So don't get too worked up over this. You have to harden yourself a little, when you deal with livestock, and forget that you ever saw Bambi. I'm not saying to be cruel - just it's best, when you indulge in agricultural activities, to be a little more practical and tough. And it is pretty cool go spend a few bucks - and get some really nice white Leghorn chickens! They're great birds, especially if you spend time with them when they're little. They forage well, and they are laying machines.

Good luck!

Also, with the brooder, make sure the chicks have room and can be under the lamp - or not under it. They can die from being too cold or too hot - and a breeze can mess them up. Make sure no AC or heater vents hit them. Make sure they can't drown in their water, etc (we put marbles in the water dish, iirc) - good threads on all that here on BYC.

My wife had to clean some for ...what was it called? Poopy butt or pasty butt or something, but I think that usually takes more than a few days to kick in.

Also, they can get diseases - sometimes they survive - sometimes the whole flock dies. Again, this is not always easy. Birds are delicate - or rather, seem vulnerable to certain things. Enjoy them while you can and keep trying. It's worth having them, and it may require some extra effort to have success.

Ok, so Steemroo is my hubby, and he made me do it this way again! He promises that he'll be the one to rehome the boys, I just hope luck will be on our side this time and we won't end up with most of them being boys because we have 9 developing! Yikes, can you imagine 9 cockerels to rehome? I pray this won't happen....

I guess I'm a member now. I have a Brahma Cochin hen (Hawkeye) who goes broody frequently and this last time has been at it for over 6 months. After exhausting every method of trying to break her from brooding, I finally gave in and let her incubate eggs. First I placed an ad on Craigslist for fertile eggs. One of the responses said he uses Trader Joe's fertile eggs. I bought a dozen and after they warmed up to room temperature put 8 of them under Hawkeye. 3 weeks later 4 of them hatched (one was killed by a Rhode Island Red before I could move Hawkeye and the other 3 into their own coop). They are 8 days old today lively and fluffy. Hawkeye is an excellent mother (so far). If she continues to care for them, I'll let her remain with them until they are 8 weeks old, otherwise, I'll brood them myself. Once they are large enough, I'll introduce them to the rest of the flock. They are supposed to be White Leghorns and California Whites.

I guess I'm a member now.  I have a Brahma Cochin hen (Hawkeye) who goes broody frequently and this last time has been at it for over 6 months.   After exhausting every method of trying to break her from brooding, I finally gave in and let her incubate eggs.   First I placed an ad on Craigslist for fertile eggs.   One of the responses said he uses Trader Joe's fertile eggs.  I bought a dozen and after they warmed up to room temperature put 8 of them under Hawkeye.   3 weeks later 4 of them hatched (one was killed by a Rhode Island Red before I could move Hawkeye and the other 3 into their own coop).   They are 8 days old today lively and fluffy.   Hawkeye is an excellent mother (so far).  If she continues to care for them, I'll let her remain with them until they are 8 weeks old, otherwise, I'll brood them myself.  Once they are large enough, I'll introduce them to the rest of the flock.   They are supposed to be White Leghorns and California Whites.   

Welcome to the TJ club! I'm the girl that emailed you to suggest them! There's pics from my adventure a page or two back.

Back
Top Bottom