Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Pics
Quote:
As tempting as it is, I would NOT recommend incubating either unless you are fully aware and ready for them to be full grown.

I've never done it, but I guess the process is almost exactly the same except you have to wait like 2 months in stead of one.

Quote:
Gryeyes,
Thank you for your input.I also have a spangled hamburg who is very flighty, and that is ok, she is a very nice bird. I am afraid that more leghorns will beat up my buckeyes! (they are docile) I think I may make the trip to a TJs or whole foods in January to start my hatching season!
ginny

This is SO cool!!! Fertile eggs from the grocery store! Only in America.
tongue.png
(We have no such thing in Canada.) I have a friend in California (L.A. area) looking for some fertile eggs to stick under a broody hen at a pre-school. This is VERY eggciting. Can anyone recommend a particular store in the San Gabriel area that I should direct her to?

Me and my broody just joined the club! I had a hen go broody and though I wanted to give her a chance to do her thing I am already over my legal limit of chickens. So, I figured give her a dozen TJ eggs and maybe she'll get one baby (if she's lucky). They were due Sat, and when I lifted her up to take a head count this morning she has 7 fluffy little butts under her! I don't know exactly how old the eggs were as I didn't bother to check Julian dates before I went to the store, but I did take a look at the expiration dates, picking the eggs that expired a week later than the first I looked at.

So with a total of 13 now in my yard I'm at 4+ times the legal limit for my area, OOPS!!!

Ok I didn't know you could do that! I called my local health food store and yes....they do have fertile eggs. I may have to try this one day.
lol.png

I'm itiching to put in some eggs! Just waiting to finish some alterations to my homemade incubator. Two people have clued me in on how to make high production blue eggers: White leghorn x Ameraucana. I found 2 AMeraucana boys for free. Just need the white Leghorns!

Back
Top Bottom