Traffic School - Ticket In One State - Live In Another

Quote:
ok one thing i HAVE to say about this. round here the judges HATE it when you start asking ?s about the radar. you are basically saying the cop is a liar. i have seen this on the internet in many places where they say to challenge the radar and the cop being an "expert" on using it. well he is only an expert in operating it, and YOU are not an expert to even understand the techno launguage the cops answers with. they are trained for this ? and you look like an idiot. so DONT DO IT.
My dh is a LEO, so this is from an "expert" 1 yes you should have taken it to court, but being in a different state that was probably hard. BUT if it has been so long since you had a ticket, he may have let you off, 2.Also i have personally seen a woman fight her ticket on the premise that she did not have enough warning time to slow down. it went fromm 55 to 25 in less than 1/4mi. she got off and they changed the speed limits on that road.
3. i recieved a speeding ticket in VA when i lived in MD. they are co-operating states, so my VA ticket showed up on my driving record, Therefore When my ins renewal was due and the ins pulled my driving record, it was a hit. However, it didnt show how fast i was going and the points didnt convert over. i Also got a ticket in OH while having a MD license. (yes i speed Alot) it also showed as just "speeding" no points or anything. now the ticket i got in VA ended up being "processed" late. i mailed it in time, somehow tho it was late. So my drl was Suspended in Va. howevr i didnt know. while it was suspended i went and transfered my drl to FL then to IL. the suspension NEVER appeared on my record, nor to my ins co or anything. Now my ins is USAA and they dont check my record everytime we renew, only when we changed to them.

oh and when i was with state farm your ins didnt go up for how many tickets you had, but if you got two incidents, they just dropped you.
good luck with everything, hope this helps, if not you than someone!

Quote:
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH -- NIFTY--
that's why you call your lawyer, FIRST!!! Better to pay him/her than get this on your record and affect your premium. Your lawyer can claim some kind of vehicular breakdown instead of driver mistake. I now MINE did.
I am sorry!
hugs.gif

When we moved to a new county in MI, I wasn't here 2 weeks. I worked overnight shift so I was usually leaving for work about 2am. I was pulled over, and the officer kept asking were I was going. I said, "work", and pointed at my shirt. He asked me 5 more times in the span of 10 minutes.
I think he was looking for people coming out of bars, and assumed I was one of them.
Anyway, He eventually wrote me up for a speeding ticket. I have never in all the places I've lived had a speeding ticket. I also wasn't speeding. I don't want to hit any deer at 2am. So, I was told to fight the ticket, and go to court.
I went to court at the time provided, and my police officer never showed up. Since he didn't show up, everything was dismissed, and I still have an unblemished record.

I do know ( at least in MI ) if you get caught speeding in a construction zone, it's a BIG no, no. I don't even think you get to contest it, and there are huge fines involved. So maybe that is why.

Bluemoon

Quote:
ok one thing i HAVE to say about this. round here the judges HATE it when you start asking ?s about the radar. you are basically saying the cop is a liar. i have seen this on the internet in many places where they say to challenge the radar and the cop being an "expert" on using it. well he is only an expert in operating it, and YOU are not an expert to even understand the techno launguage the cops answers with. they are trained for this ? and you look like an idiot. so DONT DO IT.

gig.gif
I didn't say that YOU should pretend to be an expert. I said "if you had a lawyer." Trust me. I have seen the lawyer/judge action going down. I cannot believe that if you can pay a lawyer you can pretty much get away with murder . . . er, I mean speeding anytime, anywhere. It was shocking to watch it. They spoke so fast too . . . it was like they only really needed to be there and say they were a lawyer and POOF the ticket went away. AMAZING!

We didn't have the time or energy to bother fighting it plus it was in another state and didn't want to even entertain the thought that we might need to go to their jurisdiction to deal with it.

With my insurance I've got a super deal with a carrier good driver discount and a CA good driver discount. I just hate to think I might loose those, but I'm not about to call my carrier and say, "Hey, did you know I got a speeding ticket!?"

I just don't know if I should wait and see what happens or if I need to hurry and go to traffic school (i.e., if I have to do it within xx days or months of the incident).

There should have been some info on the ticket about traffic school, contesting ticket, etc.
If not, maybe call the jurisdictions dept. of transportation. I wouldn't wait too long. They may have a time period involved.

Bluemoon

Since changes with CDL's have taken affect, your ticket when entered depending on the amount of the speed variation will be entered into the federal database which all states and insurance companies use. Does not matter whether you have a CDL or not, all states now have to meet federal regulations on issuing and maintaining DL's.

The way you described the violation, yes you could have beat it in court if it was in fact radar, and not laser or distance/time pacing. The latter being the most accurate. When their are multiple vehicles with radar it is impossible to target one vehicle. And there are some real big anomalies when large trucks are involved. Of course most officers know a ticket to a out of stater will probably not be fought. But this may change, on DOT infractions court is held via conference call. This should be federally mandated for all out of state tickets to be fair to traveling drivers.

It is done so just wait for the cards to fall where they may.
Every insurance company is different. You can drive yourself crazy doing the what if's so just let it run its course you can't change it at this point.
Be thankful you weren't cruising through MN - fines double in construction zones.
It really is a two part deal for you in the end. Does that state share citations with your state? Does your insurance company check your driving record every year or do you have to prove it because you have that special good driver rate? For piece of mind you can Check your policy and unless it says you are required to report a speeding violation (hard to believe but see above notation) just let it go. Good luck. I had a speeding ticket 19 years ago and my husband (insurance agent) still hasn't let me forget it.

Here's how we did it, well hubby anyway, we lived in Indiana but his ticket was in Illinois about a half mile from the plant he worked at.

Traffic school online in the state you got the ticket, proof of satisfactory completion is sent to the issuing district. You also get a report card/certificate stating you have taken and passed this test. Insurance is usually not notified, usually. We used his schooling certificate to get a discount for the next 2 years on our insurance
wink.png

Rob,

I am married to an LEO, and work for an attorney. I do this for a living. You need to contact an attorney in the county in Nevada where you got the ticket. All states now share information. IF you just paid the ticket, you admitted guilt- you could very well get suspended in the state where you are licensed. My brother is licensed in another state, had tickets in the state where I live and got suspended in his home state. Happens all the time. There is a provision for them to withdraw your admission to guilt, here it is called a Motion for Appropriate Releif, to withdraw the admission and re-do the case. You need to investigate or you could be in a mess. If I can help any, feel free to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom