Trailcam captured "cat" pics, identification help please.

WVduckchick

🐓🦆For the Birds!🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
So, I got these pics on my trail camera the other night. Being black and white photos at night, I can't tell what kind of cat this is. In 8-10 years since I've had multiple trail cams on this property (we hunt deer and turkey in season), I have never gotten a pic of anything like this. Foxes, coyotes, feral hogs, yes, but not a cat like this. Bob cat? Puma? West Virginia, USA.

It appears to have not messed with my chicken coop and didn't stick around long. I got 3 pictures at exactly midnight and 3 more at 12:13 a.m. and that's all.

It does look like a domestic cat to me, but there are no homes for miles. And I think it looks too big. I believe that corner post of the coop is 28", which looks to me to make the cat's back around 14-16" high. I'd like to hope its a domestic cat out roaming, but wanted some opinions. Thanks.

It does look like a domestic cat to me, but there are no homes for miles. And I think it looks too big. I believe that corner post of the coop is 28", which looks to me to make the cat's back around 14-16" high. I'd like to hope its a domestic cat out roaming, but wanted some opinions. Thanks.
Depending on the height of the trail cam and given that the cat appears to be on the low side of the cage the perspective may cause your size estimate to be off. I think it is a domestic cat as well; probably feral. Physically, it in no way resembles a bobcat. Did you check for prints and measure them? If the prints are really large, it could be an exotic that escaped and is wandering.

Depending on the height of the trail cam and given that the cat appears to be on the low side of the cage the perspective may cause your size estimate to be off. I think it is a domestic cat as well; probably feral. Physically, it in no way resembles a bobcat. Did you check for prints and measure them? If the prints are really large, it could be an exotic that escaped and is wandering.
Ok, thank you. That actually makes me feel better. Someone told my DH that it looked like a black lynx or something. I did not look for prints, I didn't pull the camera card until 3 days after these were taken, and the chickens have been in and out, so I doubt I would find anything. If it is a feral cat, would it attack my chickens or ducks?

Ok, thank you. That actually makes me feel better. Someone told my DH that it looked like a black lynx or something. I did not look for prints, I didn't pull the camera card until 3 days after these were taken, and the chickens have been in and out, so I doubt I would find anything. If it is a feral cat, would it attack my chickens or ducks?

We have several visiting cats (half wild or just wandering) around our house and they have never bothered adult birds (even the stubborn ones who sleep on the wooden fence). Racoon and possum are more of a problem. That said, if a small chick or juvenile bird came around a hungry cat, I am sure they would be lunch.

It looks like a lost domestic cat to me that is a tad closer to the camera than the actual post, so it looks a bit bigger than it is ...

Could be a house only cat that escaped, and is out exploring/lost, or could be that somebody got tired of being a cat owner, and dropped it off near your place ...

If no more pictures in three plus days ... It has either moved on, or got eaten by a coyote!

Ok thanks everyone. If I get any more of it, I'll repost. But for now we'll assume someone's kitty got loose (hopefully not dropped off)

It's a handsome domestic cat, looking for mice. I live trap here, and rehome nice cats if they are drop-offs. Do you need a nice kitty? Very few cats will take on adult chickens, but chicks are fair game. Mary

Back
Top Bottom