Trailer Coop Build (Pic heavy)

Pics
Thanks Ted, I'm pretty happy with the results now. The trim, floor, and all the details are making it look a lot better in my opinion.

I partially attached the fascia without realizing the size when I first purchased it. That is how I discovered it was too big. I need to trim about 1.5". I will cut it down and attach it, just leaving it for last because it will be easier to paint it before putting it up and it can go on last.

Roost bars setup. The 2x6s are slotted so I can lift the bars out if needed. ~22ft of space. Two roosts along the door, one really long one across from the nest boxes which is a bit tough to see in this pic. Went with this layout to maximize space and make cleaning easier.

NLnCwHW.jpg

Next up, poop boards. Then the interior might be complete.

Pip, how high are those roosts? They look very high to me and the ladies need a way to get down safely. Given your width I am afraid you will have birds banging into things and/or hurting their feet/legs.

This is OPINION only from what I have read. Others (@aart, @jthornton , etc.) will jump with much better knowledge/experience.

Just under 4ft for the higher ones. The lower is under 3ft. I plan to add poop boards/trays 8" below the roosts which provide another jumping/landing point. Then I'll add ramps and/or steps as well. The lowest jumping point would be about 2-3ft high max, if they don't use ramps.

The single high bar could easily be lowered but I wanted it above the nest box entrance. In hindsight I would have built those nest boxes lower!!

My drop boards are at 30" and some will fly up/down to that height, most however use (prefer?) to use the ramp for both. I remembered that I had read for whatever height you have you need the same for glide path down.

I also have read that they will find their way to the highest convenient spot so would not worry about the nest box height too much. The only thing is if they can stand on the tops they will which means droppings, many folks put 45 degree "roofs" to prevent that.

Last edited:
Not sure how you're going to build poop board under the roosts.
Usually one builds the boards then mounts the roost above/on them.

Thank you both, as usual!! :)

@Ted Brown, based on your description and information I am on the right track...I think. I'm doing my best to make things modular and easy to modify. Just in case!! I think the pics make the trailer look more narrow than it is. Inside dimensions, between the wheel wells is 4ft wide, 6.5ft wide in the front and back. Glide space should be ok, though admittedly it's cutting it close in the middle. I will be adding ramps though, no sense in the girls jumping if they don't want/need to!

@aart, I tend to do things backwards, different, and/or my own stubborn way (hasn't that been obvious?!? :D :D)!! I purposely placed the 2x6 horizontal supports ~10" below the roost bars. That is where the poop trays will sit. If necessary I'll either add a middle support for the tray or just hang it from the roost bar. Depends on how it goes. I am making them as lightweight (but sturdy to support a jumping chicken) as possible. :) Unfortunately for me, this is the last details and the least amount of planning that I put in, so it could bite me!! Everything is screwed together, pretty modular, so if I need to take it apart and rebuild it will be pretty easy. Most of the time was spent deciding how to arrange them.

I cannot believe it is looking like a coop inside!!! Ramps are 2x6s, hindged so I can lift them for cleaning. I have another ramp for the roost bar on the right but need to put in the brooder area first. Poop trays are mounted and ready to be filled. All that's left is blocking access above the nest boxes and add the pop doors...for the inside at least

rqpZkOi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom