training a dog to leave chickens alone

And, there's something that I've never seen mentioned anywhere, but I'll bring this up here. Some dogs have the natural tendency to listen to the energy & feelings of other animals. Meaning, they "read" the intentions of the other critter, be it a hamster, a hen, a cat, or a crow. Entire silent conversations may go on... with an unspoken agreement on both sides about courtesy. The person watching gets the strongest feeling that "They understand eachother." Other dogs charge wildly right into any other animal's body bubble, and have zero inclination to listen energetically, to feel the feelings of the other animal, nor to come to any sort of an understanding, as it simply isn't in their nature, and prey drives can overwhelm. All dogs have the ability to listen to other animals' energy, but some are simply overcome by their own high levels of prey drive and excitability.

Usually when we have a dog who has this natural tendency to listen to the energy of other animals, and come to an understanding, they do well around chickens. Even bantams. Even chicks! They tend to give the proud, reserved, stuffy old rooster his space, but may stand happily near your mellowest hen, eagerly hoping she'll poop.
rolleye.gif

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but isn't part of the responsibility in owning a dog, training it? I realize some dogs are gonna be ALOT more difficult to train the instinct out, but that's kinda are responsibility, No? We're getting these animals and there care is entrusted to us, and part of that is providing a living environment that is as safe as we can. So, that also means, providing cohabitants that can live safely together. Or providing a living arrangement that makes them safe. Hence, why I would love a lionfish for my reef tank, I can't get one, because it'll eat all my other fish.

yeah, I have dogs that will clean up after chickens if they venture indoors...LOL
OMG
lau.gif
Here I was thinking my lab had some creepy poop fetish or something.. I never mentioned it to anyone because I thought it was so ridiculous! Yep, every once and a while I'll catch him sneaking a lick at some poo.. especially when the chickens get into the garage and mess on the floor!

I have lived my life working and training dogs, I am a national certified master groomer and trainer. I have to tell you if you have a dog that has killed a bird, or any other small animal, you may have a problem and should always take great care with your chickens. I have an african grey parrott that has taught all my dogs well, NOT TO MESS with the feathered friend. and when out of his cage they make a wide birth around him. I have posted on my face book pictures of even the cat sitting next to the bird out of his cage, they like each other. So he solved my problem before one got started. Disapline bad behavior and reward good. introduce your chickens at a very young age to your pet, while you are holding the young chick. do not shut your mutt out, this is what part of your problem is. The dog gets upset because your affection and attention is on the chickens, be sure your pet realizes they all are part of one big family. expose your pet on a daily basis to one or two chick's while they are in your lap. let them sniff them and tell the dog, softly "Gooood dog...," if he or she advances to quickly, disapline with a loud sharp " NOOOO!!!!.........." repeat this process many times a day if you have to. Dogs learn well by repititon and praise. If you have an unruley un trained dog you are sure to have major problems. So use common sense, and a second person to assist. Once a dog has killed and eaten a chicken, your done, they will do it again and again, and you will have to part friends with either the chickens or the dog. again use common sense. and good luck.
thumbsup.gif

I have lived my life working and training dogs, I am a national certified master groomer and trainer. I have to tell you if you have a dog that has killed a bird, or any other small animal, you may have a problem and should always take great care with your chickens. I have an african grey parrott that has taught all my dogs well, NOT TO MESS with the feathered friend. and when out of his cage they make a wide birth around him. I have posted on my face book pictures of even the cat sitting next to the bird out of his cage, they like each other. So he solved my problem before one got started. Disapline bad behavior and reward good. introduce your chickens at a very young age to your pet, while you are holding the young chick. do not shut your mutt out, this is what part of your problem is. The dog gets upset because your affection and attention is on the chickens, be sure your pet realizes they all are part of one big family. expose your pet on a daily basis to one or two chick's while they are in your lap. let them sniff them and tell the dog, softly "Gooood dog...," if he or she advances to quickly, disapline with a loud sharp " NOOOO!!!!.........." repeat this process many times a day if you have to. Dogs learn well by repititon and praise. If you have an unruley un trained dog you are sure to have major problems. So use common sense, and a second person to assist. Once a dog has killed and eaten a chicken, your done, they will do it again and again, and you will have to part friends with either the chickens or the dog. again use common sense. and good luck.
thumbsup.gif
I disagree strongly with most of what is said above. I have had to rely economically on dogs that either killed in past or as part of their job. With former it is part of learning curve.

you are welcome to disagree we all have our own experiences and can only go by what we experience. We do agree on one thing though....Training is the key

I disagree strongly with most of what is said above. I have had to rely economically on dogs that either killed in past or as part of their job. With former it is part of learning curve.

The part I disagree with is the statement "Once a dog has killed and eaten a chicken, your done, they will do it again and again, and you will have to part friends with either the chickens or the dog." That statement is blatantly incorrect and not one that is acceptable to someone who has been in the trenches working with dogs as guardians, general farm dogs or hunting dogs. "Expertise" in context you use is not likely valid outside your explicit area of training. If you have credentials with training dogs with livestock under conditions where control is more difficult to realize than a typical household pet's or show dog's, then I will take your statement more seriously.

I have herd from a friend of mine , that there grandma used to spray AMONIA about 2 ft all around the outside of the coop & fenced in area , about every 2 weeks to help keep there dogs & other predators away from the chickens

Back
Top Bottom