Training Chickens to Demonstrate Flight

It has not failed. He is back out and staying clear of cockyard area. Currently he is seeking shelter under deck. He chases after me big time when I have meal worm container in hand.

Weather is getting rough, tornado warning with juicer stuff yet to come.

Below are both birds following two downpours. Rain came almost horizontal in sheets. This will help clean him up a lot.

20170527_160409.jpg
20170527_160328.jpg

This is not ruined for my purposes. Look closely at him in first images. Bill damage was already present. He is not slated for show or the pit so the damage is not an issue so long as he can feed himself and keep feathers in order.

I can now move the pen to different locations and they will fly into it when called. If one chick find a tasty morsel in the pen, then it calls siblings and they promptly fly over and into the pen. Hen not following chick tidbit calls but she will come to treats on her own. Will try to give first public showing tomorrow evening.

Backup hen / pullet is being a pain in the butt. Flighty as sin. She flies back to barn every time she is released. She appears to still want in with stag she was with two weeks ago. She came back into lay but did not adopt nest Edgar and I want her to use. This evening I will see what she does if I take her to the porch on side of house. She may fly from there to barn. Distance likely far enough so she can get into trimmed out flight without engaging "afterburners". So far she is cared of me when offered food rewards. I have to face away from her otherwise she will not approach.

Edgar now comes running to me and flies up to hand as soon as he sees me. He ignores my 3 year old daughter. He is also a little under weight. I am going to get a little genuine game bird feed to see if he eats that better.

Back
Top Bottom