Training questions for dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickenGirl165, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    I have a Pomeranian x Foxy at around 1 year old. I just got it 1 day ago and its behaving quite well for the first time but there are some questions on how to train them on a specific thing so here they are:

Q. My dog growls and try to bite us when we try to wipe their hind legs after going outside. How to stop this? Already bitten.

Q.How to train it to entertain itself at home when we're gone?

Q. Licks the hand a lot. how to stop or decrease the amount of licking?

More to come soon i guess but any advice would be helpful :)
    Q. We just bought a ball for it to play with and when we go near it, it would start to growl and perhaps try to bite. How to teach her not to be agressive? Q. How to stop her from barking or whining if no ones at home. How to get her used to it and things like that? We get along quite well. It would follow us everywhere and it would lean on me when i rub around the neck. It eats and drinks great from the very first day and it would come running if w called her name. Just some problems with the growling and threatening.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I would not let anyone wipe my backside off that i did not know.Let the dog gain trust in you a couple weeks of bonding,why is a dog licking your hand maybe lotion on your hands that tastes good but I don't let any dogs lick me. A tired dog is a good dog walk them run them take them bond crate them play ball

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  3. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    I do not wear any lotion at all. There is absolutely nothing interesting about my hands. We give it walks every day

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    why do you call him (her?) "it"
    For the biting, the dog has only been with you a day. He doesn't know you and you are trying to do something (wiping his legs) that has probably never happened to him before. He is grabbing your hand (remember he doesn't have hands of his own) to say "Hey stranger, why are you touching me there?"

1) Let him get used to you touching him all over and this behavior will stop. Give him time to learn what you expect and to gain trust in you.

2) Start the "trading game" Reward him with something fun or tasty to teach him that sharing is good.
    -----------------------
    www.diamondsintheruff.com/RG.html Sorry, it won't let me paste the instructions here.

3) the most scent-filled parts of our body are the palms of our hands and the soles of our feet (Incidentally this is why many dogs love to chew on our shoes). He is learning your smell and who the people in the family are. It is also a submissive gesture, his way of saying "I just want to be friends" and trying to relieve tension. When/if you get upset about it, the behavior actually increases because he is trying to placate you.

5. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Well first question: My greyhound puppy used to do this. I bopped them on the nose and told him no, then went right back to playing with his paws. When he continued, i did the same thing over, and kept this up until he allowed me to handle his paws without fuss. I'm not saying beat your dog senseless or hurt it by any means!! Just a correction, a light tap on the nose, an attention getter. like a gently nudge to a child of some sort. Something that lets him know your NOT happy but that your not going to hurt him either.

Second question: you cant exactly train a dog to entertain itself, that's like saying you can train a kid to entertain itself. Just buy lots of chew bones and squeak toys and leave them with the puppy. Just like a kid.

Third: Well its a sign of affection, but if your like me and you hate it, just tell the puppy no and don't let it lick continuously.

Fourth: Remove the ball and discipline the dog. You know, say no, sqirt bottle, what ever your no thing is. Biting is a serious problem, the last thing you want is to have a grown adult dog, biting a child. Then you can say good bye to your dog...
    Think of it as a child, if you kid swears at you and tries to hit you, you let them know that its not right. Same with the dog.

It sounds like you really should enroll in behavior classes. they can give you a lot better advice then anyone on here can. They can see the behavior, and your reaction to the behavior, so they can properly advise and assist you from there.
    But in all seriousness, get that bitting and growling under control!

6. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    dogs have teeth they bite to not remember that is asking for problems always remember and don't hit the dog bond with him first no hitting that will get you bit for sure just cuz a dog bites is no reason to get rid of it.Just don't allow for mishaps protect the dog don't expose him to others without getting to know him first.Put a leash to your belt and to the dog and all day everyday the dog is with your constantly.Teach the dog a down while you eat,use the br etc.dog on leash at your side all day everyday,crate when you are not home

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    yes, for most dogs, "bopping" them on the muzzle is just an invitation for them to bite and play harder. It's a game to them, that's how dog's and puppies play with each other. Smacking at their mouth is just going to ramp them up further or possibly damage the developing relationship if the dog is afraid of the punishment. Either way, not a good idea.

With a new dog, I would definitely try tethering him to you. How old is he? (her?)

work on positive reinforcment and TEACHING the dog what you expect from him. No punishments until you are certain that he knows what is expected of him.

You want him to view you touching his legs as a GOOD thing.

Before you punishment him for growling over his toys, TEACH him not to growl. You don't teach by punishment, you teach by rewarding proper behavior and sitting the dog up to succeed.

8. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    yes good answer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by