Trampled By Turkey.

I recommend taking chickens out of the sling for periods of rest, to sleep and stretch. Most people use a rubber feeding tube with chickens. You can sometimes get by with a piece of aquarium air tubing which fits a standard 35 ml syringe sold in feed stores. That works for very thin liquids. You can make the chicken feed thin with water, and grinding it fine may help more. I have only used the aquarium air tubing for water, plus raw egg and plain yogurt. The red rubber feeding tubes are sold online and connect to a catheter tipped syringe, also available online. The larger ones are good for thicker feedings. Your vet may sell you a proper feeding tube and syringe for goats or other animals to use. You can find a lot of info in these threads about sizes and where to buy things:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/go-team-tube-feeding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/
I just undid her sling for the day.

Okay, rubber tube. I'll go with that.

Sorry to hear that but if she's in pain and not getting better, you have to do the right thing. YOU doing it is the humane way. In the wild they'd limp around until something tore them up.. Don't feel bad, YOU are doing what god intends for sick critters but doing it with dignity and as least suffering as is possible .vs. the natural way.

Ya both gave it your best. Sadly, sometimes things don't work out the way we want.
Aaron

Sorry to hear that but if she's in pain and not getting better, you have to do the right thing. YOU doing it is the humane way. In the wild they'd limp around until something tore them up.. Don't feel bad, YOU are doing what god intends for sick critters but doing it with dignity and as least suffering as is possible .vs. the natural way.

Ya both gave it your best. Sadly, sometimes things don't work out the way we want.
Aaron
This is gonna be like the 4th bird I've ever had to put down.
(I don't believe in God)

Just disappointed that it's a favorite bird of mine, & is an critically Endangered breed that's hurt badly. Got her from a breeder at only 3 weeks old. Traded 2 cockerels for her, & her sister. Both sister's are inseparable.

Ok, then you are doing what nature does to sick animals. It takes them out of the picture and more times than not into something elses belly so the cycle of life can go on. That process is generally pretty savage. You putting it down now, is not so savage and rather peaceful. Don't need to have a god to get reincarnated, so it will come back as a Cheeseburger and into YOUR belly to thank you for your kindness.

Aaron

Ok, then you are doing what nature does to sick animals. It takes them out of the picture and more times than not into something elses belly so the cycle of life can go on. That process is generally pretty savage. You putting it down now, is not so savage and rather peaceful. Don't need to have a god to get reincarnated, so it will come back as a Cheeseburger and into YOUR belly to thank you for your kindness.

Aaron
She's not big enough to eat, but I'll probably keep her skull, & a leg bone as memory. Probably a few of her feathers too.

Back
Top Bottom