Transition from one feed to another??

DebB11

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Our chicks are just over 8 weeks old..... right now we are giving them starter/grower so when should I transition them over to the next type? I think I read on TSC website 10 weeks? I am about out of feed though so I need to buy some more in the next couple days.... I usually can only find 50lb bags though..... didn't know if I could transition them over early or not? Also, how do I transition them.... do I just give them the new stuff or add the new into what they already have?

Thanks
Debbie

It is grower/finisher....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...oultry-grower-finisher-15-feed-50-lb--5078171

Last edited:
Debbie, I'm in the same position.

My chick feed is going to run out in about a week, when they're 6 weeks, and I'll be away for a few days when it does. I consulted with my Agway chicken lady, and she said I should go to the grower feed. I'm going to put it on top of the remaining chick feed in the large auto-feeder in their new coop (Monday can't come soon enough). That way, they'll mix together gradually. That works to transition dogs and cats to a new food, so I'm hoping it does for chickens, too. I'll be watching this thread for words of wisdom from someone much more experienced than I am...

Back
Top Bottom