Transition to Coop

hastevens07

Hatching
May 24, 2020
We currently have 11 chicks in a brooder we will be moving outside in about 4 weeks. We have two coops set up to accommodate the 11 as each coop maxes out at 8 chickens. My question is, would it be wise to split the chicks up between the coops immediately as we move them outside or would we be best to keep them all together while they’re still smaller until we begin opening the coops to allow them to free range? My concern in splitting them up from the start is that it would induce stress after they’ve all been together. However, if I keep them all together, will they likely all gravitate to just that one coop once they begin free-ranging and then be left with a completely empty one? Any tips and guidance is greatly appreciated!

We currently have 11 chicks in a brooder we will be moving outside in about 4 weeks. We have two coops set up to accommodate the 11 as each coop maxes out at 8 chickens. My question is, would it be wise to split the chicks up between the coops immediately as we move them outside or would we be best to keep them all together while they’re still smaller until we begin opening the coops to allow them to free range? My concern in splitting them up from the start is that it would induce stress after they’ve all been together. However, if I keep them all together, will they likely all gravitate to just that one coop once they begin free-ranging and then be left with a completely empty one? Any tips and guidance is greatly appreciated!
They will all try to roost together once they are let out. Silly birds.

Any way to put the two coops together? Sorry if that's not possible. I don't know what your setup is like.

Back
Top Bottom