Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
For the bamboo, make sure it is the clumping kind. You do NOT want to get the runner kind. These are actually illegal in some areas because they are invasive and can grow anywhere, even through structures.
Apparently bamboo loses its leaves in the winter if grown in cold climates, so that's not going to work for me. I need year-round coverage.

I have never understood the desire of some to leave the place they are, attracted by some different place's character, only to then attempt to remake it into the very thing they are leaving...

I wish you fortune in your efforts, and worry that this will be an unending hassle until one of you is simply too worn from the effort to continue. My sincere condolences.
Thank you! As long as there's no legal action that can be taken against me, and I am in compliance with the town, the rest doesn't matter. I can ignore him if I had to. It's just that he has involved so much of the town and a lot is still being figured out legally, and the cloud of uncertainty looming over my head has been driving me crazy.

Ew! Good point.
For the bamboo, make sure it is the clumping kind. You do NOT want to get the runner kind. These are actually illegal in some areas because they are invasive and can grow anywhere, even through structures.

I would try it in raised beds.....with bottoms on them.

I leave my decorative grasses through winter and trim back in the spring. I do not know if bamboo would hold its shape minus the leaves in winter......

Now I want bamboo!!

Apparently bamboo loses its leaves in the winter if grown in cold climates, so that's not going to work for me. I need year-round coverage.
Do some research. I have definitely seen bamboo fully leaved in winter, on TV. I think the program is Wild China on Netflix. Im sure there are several different kinds. Go to your local nursery if they're still open and pick their brain about plant choices in general.

Do some research. I have definitely seen bamboo fully leaved in winter, on TV. I think the program is Wild China on Netflix. Im sure there are several different kinds. Go to your local nursery if they're still open and pick their brain about plant choices in general.
They're still open, I'll go talk to them, thanks.

I really like a prior poster's suggestion of a fast growing semi-seasonal vine which might be supported by wire or the like to create a natural "roof" . Of the two suggestions, I'd favor the english ivy (which I personally love). I have this thought in the back of my skull, perhaps wrong, that the other quick grower isn't good for chickens to eat. and I know birds don't tend to eat things bad for them for long, or in any quantity, but I'd still shy away if a better alternative was readilt available.

I really like a prior poster's suggestion of a fast growing semi-seasonal vine which might be supported by wire or the like to create a natural "roof" . Of the two suggestions, I'd favor the english ivy (which I personally love). I have this thought in the back of my skull, perhaps wrong, that the other quick grower isn't good for chickens to eat. and I know birds don't tend to eat things bad for them for long, or in any quantity, but I'd still shy away if a better alternative was readilt available.
That one has a fairly strong odor to it though.

Back
Top Bottom