Transparent eggshell

CSS

Chirping
Oct 20, 2017
Vail, Arizona
This morning I found an egg near the roost that had a this transparent shell. I believe it's from my Barred Rock, Checkers.
She started laying about a two months ago, and I've found three of these. Otherwise she lays normal eggs almost everyday.
My other girls, 2 EE, 1 white Leghorn, and one Bantam who just started laying, have normal shell eggs.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

Thank you. I feed them layer feed. 40lbs mixed with 2 c. Oatmeal, 2 cups flax seed and 2 cups of dried herbs.
Supplement with oyster shell after the first soft eggshell, and a few meal worm.
They get some fresh greens, kale, Swiss chard and fruit. Not too much.
All of the chickens look and act healthy.
The soft shell egg has happened three times with about three weeks in between.
Trying to figure this out.
Thanks for your thoughts.

This morning I found an egg near the roost that had a this transparent shell. I believe it's from my Barred Rock, Checkers.
She started laying about a two months ago, and I've found three of these. Otherwise she lays normal eggs almost everyday.
My other girls, 2 EE, 1 white Leghorn, and one Bantam who just started laying, have normal shell eggs.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
Thin shells can be caused by several things; stress, low calcium consumption, malfunctioning calcium absorption, disease.

What and how exactly are you feeding?
When only one bird exhibits 'bad' eggs, it might not be the diet.

Layer feed is meant to a the sole feed.
Adding those other things are be diluting the nutrients in the feed.
What are and why the dried 'herbs'?

Layer feed is meant to a the sole feed.
Adding those other things are be diluting the nutrients in the feed.
What are and why the dried 'herbs'?
Thanks. I added dried oregano. I've taken everything out after reading your post. Their shells are strong. Thanks for your help.

I bought a book, daily eggs. The author recommended the added oregano, oatmeal and flax seed to the feed to enhance laying. The oregano is thought to help prevent ecoli and other infections.

Back
Top Bottom