Transport to processor???

EmeraldAcres

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 26, 2017
Our nearest processor is over an hour away, so I want to make the trip with volume, rather than frequently. How would you guys recommend as the most cost efficient way to transport 300 broilers to the processor? They won't all fit in the back of our truck

They should be transported in poultry crates and not loose in a trailer. They will crowd and suffocate each other. You would probably end up with many bruised and damaged birds.

In the past the possessor we had used lent out crates, but they are 1.5 hours away and we had to pick up the crates the night before, drop off the chickens in the morning and then pick up the packaged chicken the next day. That made for 9 hours of drive time. We are sitching to a new processor, they are still an hour away but the chickens will be processed and ready to take home in about a hour. This makes for much less driving but I need to come up with a way to crate them. I have looked into building crates, buying new or buying used. I will probably buy used crates from craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom