Transporting our Flock 10+ Hours

france

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
North East
We are still working out the details and this could happen anytime. We have 15 hens of various breeds and ages 2-5. I have a couple of big dog crates I can use. They will travel in a horse trailer (basic two horse, full divider, with horse on the other side) or in the back of a pickup truck (with a cab top). It could be winter and this is the northeast.

One crate is wire so I worry about little feet if it moves. The other crate is a big plastic one with a solid bottom. It is 3' x 2'. Should I maybe start watching craigslist for a second plastic one?

Not sure how to deal with food and water if at all. I was thinking it would be best to cover them and have water & feed at the end of the trip.

Just thought of it but are there any issues with transporting over state lines? We will be crossing about 7.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Covering is a good idea but make sure they have ventilation and don't overheat. They will be okay without food for sure. Okay without water depending on the duration of your trip. Not sure they would drink anyway with the stress of travel. Have a safe trip!

I would put them in the back of the truck. It will be warmer with less wind and you could have a train wreck with the horse. I'd cover the crates with a towel to keep them quiet. They'll sort of be in that sleep stage the whole way. They don't need any food or water. 2x3 will easily fit 4 full sized hens but not much more. The wire one will work fine but cover the bottom with a towel or cardboard (cut down a box and put it in the bottom so you have a few inches up the side) and throw some straw on top. Don't buy more stuff you have to move.

As far as needing health certificates on the chickens it's going to depend upon where you are going. Go online and look at the state's department of agriculture site. It will tell you if you need anything. That will apply to dogs and cats as well. If you need something, just have the vet do it when health certificates and coggins are pulled on the horse. You don't have to be concerned with the states you travel through, just the one you will end up in.

Back
Top Bottom