2-3 week chicks - in the flock without a broody hen

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
Accidentally in a ranch store - chicks...some how I got 4. Just beginning to get wing feathers when I picked them up on Thursday. Today, I see the tail feathers coming in. It is August but we have been cool, high 50's at night, high 70's at day.

I came home, put them in a bedded dog crate with an insulated shelter 3 inches high. Stuck them in the coop. Next day, I set up a safety zone in the run with their own water and feed. Attached the dog crate, later on I check on them and they were happy in the zone.

That night, I used a stick to guide them to the dog crate - back in the coop. Crate is latched - rinse, repeat. I have been letting the big girls and two roosters out for part of the time. But not all day. They ignore them completely - as in they don't even seem to see them.

Sunday in the afternoon, I had let the bigs back in, later, I see the chicks have escaped their zone. So I tied up the bottom so the could escape easily, and get back in easily. I guided them back, and they seemed relieved to get there. But were not in any trouble.

Sunday night, they were in the dog crate when I got down there. I put them in the coop, but this time, I left the crate door open. Monday morning, when I got down there it was foggy, and nothing was off the roost or out. So I went back and had coffee. When I went down again, all were out pecking around and the chicks had come out of the coop across an area of 8 feet and gotten into their safety zone.

Close to dark, I am bringing the crate to them off their safety zone. But I am thinking that with in a week, they will be going into the coop on their own.

While this would not work for everyone. I have a large coop and larger run 20x30 for a dozen +/- chickens. I have a lot of clutter, and it is summer. And I frequently have added chicks. But these chicks are getting sunshine, they are getting a lot of exercise, they are jumping on things and over things, they will be very healthy. Sometimes in keeping chicks safe, I think we do more harm.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom