Transporting week old chicks and broody

barffy

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2016
Hi all,

I've had a search but can't find any information. I was wondering if it was a bad idea to transport my week old chicks and mother in the car for an hour each way. I keep my own flock but also have one at the school I work in. The kids would love to see the babies but my primary concern is the welfare of my own birds.

If it isn't the worst idea in the world what would be the best way? Separate babies and Mother? Keep them all together in a smaller box?

It goes without saying they (or the children) will go nowhere near the school flock before handling them.

Thanks,

Harry

I live in the UK and having students around your house is unheard of! It’s a shame but their welfare is more important.

I had thought of putting some fertile eggs under a broody school bird but it could be challenging conversations if we ended up with several cockerels!

Maybe slip a few sexed day olds under with a few infertile eggs and stage a hatch for your students?
Not exactly honest, but they still get the wonder and no cockrels to explain.:)
I live in the UK and having students around your house is unheard of! It’s a shame but their welfare is more important.

I had thought of putting some fertile eggs under a broody school bird but it could be challenging conversations if we ended up with several cockerels!

Back
Top Bottom