trapped a raccoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HATE killing anything. I'd rather do just about anything else. It has to be done on occasion though, so it's always best to know what you're comfortable with. We are in the wildlife removal business. Sometimes people are asking for problems (leaving pet food out, etc.), so we try to resolve those issues before removing anything. If the animal is truly a problem (killing livestock, risking the safety of children, etc.) then it has to go. We are often called about sick and injured wildlife, as they're more likely to make trouble out of desperation.

There are valid reasons for the laws against relocating wildlife. I get that these animals are cute, but moving them isn't just going to make trouble for other people. The individual animal is going to have to find a new resources. Some species are very territorial, and you're killing them by moving them out of their territory and into someone else's. Moving them "far away from other people" is no consolation to the wildlife in the area to which you are moving these animals. You are introducing diseases, parasites, and bad behavior to a whole new population.

Consider WHY you want to relocate something. Is it for the well being of the animal, or are you just trying to avoid feeling bad temporarily? If you think a few miles is enough to keep them out of trouble with people, you're wrong. Yes, raccoons ARE highly intelligent. That's why they make so much trouble. If you think a chicken killing, trap savvy, female raccoon, won't teach every one of her offspring to do the same thing, you're still wrong.

I'll tell you what's even cuter than a raccoon. A litter of coydog pups. They're stinkin' adorable! Even better when they live behind a housing development and grow up without a fear of people. EVEN BETTER when they play tug of war with a little girl's cat in her front yard in broad daylight. Maybe we should move them somewhere else, because they are smart and cute after all.

I would just haul him back out to the wild then do your best to prevent more from coming back.

If you decide to kill him, then just do it. Don't worry about what your neighbours think. It's a racoon.. You've got to stop the damage some how.

How "far" is far? As in about how many miles would you say is far enough they would not find their way home? And assuming you do relocate that one, what are you going to do about his mother, brother, sister, papa and all the cousins?

FWIW, if you oppose snuffing the trapped animal, best solution is not to trap it in the first place. I have a plethora of traps, but I don't use any of them. I have a coop that is predator proof by night and a chicken yard that is surrounded by an electric fence that protects them by day. I don't have a predator problem and it is not because of traps and guns or relocation efforts. Varmints are all around, yet don't cause me any problems. Perhaps that is the best option of all?

I HATE killing anything. I'd rather do just about anything else. It has to be done on occasion though, so it's always best to know what you're comfortable with. We are in the wildlife removal business. Sometimes people are asking for problems (leaving pet food out, etc.), so we try to resolve those issues before removing anything. If the animal is truly a problem (killing livestock, risking the safety of children, etc.) then it has to go. We are often called about sick and injured wildlife, as they're more likely to make trouble out of desperation.

There are valid reasons for the laws against relocating wildlife. I get that these animals are cute, but moving them isn't just going to make trouble for other people. The individual animal is going to have to find a new resources. Some species are very territorial, and you're killing them by moving them out of their territory and into someone else's. Moving them "far away from other people" is no consolation to the wildlife in the area to which you are moving these animals. You are introducing diseases, parasites, and bad behavior to a whole new population.

Consider WHY you want to relocate something. Is it for the well being of the animal, or are you just trying to avoid feeling bad temporarily? If you think a few miles is enough to keep them out of trouble with people, you're wrong. Yes, raccoons ARE highly intelligent. That's why they make so much trouble. If you think a chicken killing, trap savvy, female raccoon, won't teach every one of her offspring to do the same thing, you're still wrong.

I'll tell you what's even cuter than a raccoon. A litter of coydog pups. They're stinkin' adorable! Even better when they live behind a housing development and grow up without a fear of people. EVEN BETTER when they play tug of war with a little girl's cat in her front yard in broad daylight. Maybe we should move them somewhere else, because they are smart and cute after all.

This totally sums this up what a brilliant post !
Someone who knows what they are saying :woot:goodpost:

Legal or not, I choose life in a world full of conformity and death.

As for this ridiculous post I personally think you are just arguing you are not willing to listen to reason just accusing ppl of wanting to kill for no reason!
Why don't you just relocate the cute little thing in someones house and be done with it !
:thumbsup

Thanks, @GGBEAR

Most of us are on this site because we love animals. Some people take killing lightly, but I don't. Not in any capacity. It's not without suffering on my end either. I think that's what bothers me the most. People confuse the avoidance of their own suffering with mercy. It's purely selfish. I know it's selfish, because I find myself having the same internal debate every time I'm faced with such a decision. Sometimes, in order to respect a life, you have to take it. That sounds really brutal, but most of you will get it.

I've also seen the consequences of these misguided attempts to save the world, one critter at a time. It's not pretty. I really don't appreciate the implication, by some, that we're all a bunch of murderous beasts. Lol. Some people are raising a stink all over this site, so I won't take the foolishness personally. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom