Trapping Foxes

I've never had success trapping a fox in a cage trap. Since you have children, leg hold traps are out. Really a snare would be best for fox. However, a snare won't know the difference between a fox, domestic dog, or your children. I would use snares and deny my children access to the area. I will caution ⚠️ trapping in the backyard is more dangerous than an unsupervised swimming pool.

Leg hold traps would be my first choice. You have the option to relocate the animal. But I was just picturing your toddler stepping on one. Since you don't have children in the yard full-time, leg holds would be my approach. You can trip any buried traps before guests arrive. Spend some time on youtube to understand tactics- baiting, sifting, anchoring, and use of brush to direct the animal towards the traps. Good luck

I've never had success trapping a fox in a cage trap. Since you have children, leg hold traps are out. Really a snare would be best for fox. However, a snare won't know the difference between a fox, domestic dog, or your children. I would use snares and deny my children access to the area. I will caution ⚠️ trapping in the backyard is more dangerous than an unsupervised swimming pool.
Thank you for your response.

Just to clarify, I don't personally have any children but yes, we have friends with children who come often.

I had forgotten about snares. I have a friend who uses them and unfortunately he's had a couple of bad experiences with them. The worst being when the fox actually broke free and dragged the ground spike away and strangled itself. In the UK the tightening snares are illegal unfortunately. We have to have a stopper on them to prevent the animal being choked.

As to the leg hold traps, are they an effective method? I mean, more than a cage? That might be the best option. Are they dangerous for youngsters?

Sorry, I have no experience with this stuff so I'm really looking for all the advice possible.

And make sure that whatever you do is legal where you live! It is hard to live trap foxes, although @cmom has had success, at least once. She set the live trap with bait for some days, so the fox could get the food. then, she set it up to trap him.
Relocating a chicken killing fox is a terrible idea! You need to kill it if it's caught. Again, what's legal where you live?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom