Trapping Raccoons as a Procautionary Measure

Bellevan

Chirping
Mar 25, 2019
Northeastern Ohio
So I'm looking at the potential use of traps as a precautionary measure in my lineup of predator defense for when my poultry get old enough to be outside. Other line of defenses that we will have is a secure coop, of course, and electrified net fencing.
Most of the resources I can find offer information after the predator has already wrecked havoc and the angle(s) of attack and such are already known. My main concern is that if I do place and bait traps to lure in anything that is on its way to munch on my flock, would I be screwing myself by luring things to my flock with the bait itself, or is the flock enough of a bait itself that trap bait won't make a huge difference?
Further info that may be relevant: we're planning on using a tractor-type set up and rotating the coop around our property weekly.

Welcome! I don't trap as a preventative here, but circumstances differ. My flock is always in a safe coop at night, or any time predator issues occur. There's never feed outside of their coop and run, so no night time attractants.
I do feed songbirds intermittently near my house, but not in areas where chickens can also roam. If critters show up under the wild bird feeders, I may trap and shoot them, and always bring in the feeders for weeks, at least, to break that cycle.
No close neighbors are feeding the raccoons or other 'varmits', another big help.
I have zero tolerance for raccoons, opossums, or skunks moving into the barn, or trying to live close to the coop and run. Having no food available for them is very important.
Mary

Well, I certainly plan to put out some 'precautionary' traps this coming weekend. I'm in a climate zone where raccoons hibernate in the winter and they're waking up--now! I trapped out what I hope were the last of the potentially predatory raccoons for some time to come last year--the ones already accustomed to finding food around human habitation and unafraid of people in general--but you never know. I might have missed one. Anyway, if anyone climbs the fence and comes snooping around the chicken house or even the bird feeders, I'll have some nice tasty cat food served up in my live traps waiting for them. If no one shows up (and I hope no one does), well, I'll just be out some cans of crappy ol' cat food and the time it takes to set the traps every evening and close 'em up in the mornings. That's worth it to me to help keep the chickens safe.

Welcome! I don't trap as a preventative here, but circumstances differ. My flock is always in a safe coop at night, or any time predator issues occur. There's never feed outside of their coop and run, so no night time attractants.
I do feed songbirds intermittently near my house, but not in areas where chickens can also roam. If critters show up under the wild bird feeders, I may trap and shoot them, and always bring in the feeders for weeks, at least, to break that cycle.
No close neighbors are feeding the raccoons or other 'varmits', another big help.
I have zero tolerance for raccoons, opossums, or skunks moving into the barn, or trying to live close to the coop and run. Having no food available for them is very important.
Mary

Good point! We've only lived in our current house less than month so I'm not even sure if raccoons are wildly prevalent here. But I'm sure there are some skulking about. Usually I like to watch our security camera footage to see what snoops around at night, but our house doesn't have a porch or back porch light so the cams are a little useless at night for the time being. I'll be sure to give extra consideration to our bird feeders and looking into some chicken feeders that are better for preventing huge messes.

I would think that the smell of chicken is so strong that it's going to be the thing attracting the raccoons, the bait isn't going to bring in any "extra" predators. When you bait your traps, raccoons LOOOOVE marshmallows. If you use catfood you will trap everything including feral cats and skunks. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
Good luck with your trapping!

Electric netting and a secure coop is all you need. I don't see any reason to lure and trap an animal that would leave the birds alone. Let the electric do the job and bring in food at night.

If a predator is being a nuisance then it can be trapped and shot. Some become very determined and there is no other solution. Vermont law is set up in this way. Willy nilly trapping and killing of fur bearing animals is illegal. You are allowed to dispatch an animal that is attempting to harm or harmed livestock.

I trapped preventativly before putting chickens in my current coop...

... I removed over a dozen in no time... but I knew beforehand that there was a significant resident population though...

... be aware that trapping in this preventative manner out of a standard trapping season might vilolate your local “protecting livestock” laws...

... so do read up on your local laws first.

I don’t think it is advisable or effective. New racoons will fill in the opening you leave by eliminating tge ones you trap. It’s like trapping flies in your home with the windows open. You won’t singlehandedly eliminate the whole racoon population in your area and it would be a bad thing if you did. All the predators like eating chickens and they all have an important part in balancing the eco system.
Securing your livestock against all predators (electric fencing, tight coop and run, locking in at dusk) is the best option. Otherwise, the way you’ll find out that a new predator has moved in is AFTER you have had a loss.

I don’t think it is advisable or effective. New racoons will fill in the opening you leave by eliminating tge ones you trap...

In my case, I have no doubt that the 12+ I removed from around my coop were replaced by a couple more...

...but I’d rather have 2 testing my coop than 12+....

...not to mention the benefit to the quail, turkey, and other wild ground nesting birds in the area.... that removing so many nest robbers had.

Back
Top Bottom