Traumatized quail, abducted by cat, no sign of injuries

Xouie

Crowing
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
Ugh, I’m having a “can’t believe this happened to me” moment. Yesterday we had my son’s special coturnix, Bean, out for a little sunshine in the flowerbed when the neighbor cat snatched her from right next to my husband. Fortunately he got Bean back. No blood, punctures, or other signs of external trauma. No reaction to massage/palpitation indicating internal injury (though that’s so much harder to ID).

But Bean is barely drinking water and mostly refusing to eat. I’ve gotten her to take a couple of mealworms and crumbled egg yolk, but no gamebird crumble — even tried wetting it. I’ve got vitamins in the water, held her and used a heat lamp to keep her warm last night and today, and a companion bird with her.

What am I forgetting? I’ve never really dealt with quail PTSD before. Or more honestly I’ve never had a quail as a cherished house pet before where this was a major issue. If Bean dies I’m going to have one very devastated kid here.

Oh no! It sounds like you’re doing all you can. The only other suggestion I can think of, maybe try giving some earth worms? My quail are crazy for earthworms, way more than meal worms, so try turning over patio blocks etc to grab a few, and see if he will eat them.

Oh no! It sounds like you’re doing all you can. The only other suggestion I can think of, maybe try giving some earth worms? My quail are crazy for earthworms, way more than meal worms, so try turning over patio blocks etc to grab a few, and see if he will eat them.
Going outside to get some now. Perfect time too; it’s been raining here.

I've had a couple quail make a break for it and were snatched from the air by our dog who ran around with me yelling and screaming at her. No scratches. Put the quail back in the coop and didn't notice any bad things.

Depends on how rough the cat was. Our dog was soft mouthed. Best wishes with quail.

Make sure she's warm as well. If she's in shock, she'll need a bit of extra heat.
Thanks. We’ve all been taking turns holding her, putting her in the hospital bin to give her breaks and water. It has helped. She is so much more relaxed being held than put down. And I never realized before that she knows the difference between us. She perked up visibly and struggled when she saw/heard my son get up this morning.

We all cheered when she enthusiastically went after a mealworm a while ago. Then she pecked a little at some chicken lay crumble (she still won’t touch her high protein stuff yet and I’m not going to fight her on it). She has lost so much weight!

Every problem has a lesson. This time I learned I would willingly lose most of 2 nights of sleep nursing a regular, cheap middle-aged quail that was supposed to be culled as a chick. And that I’d shed tears when she looked like she might give up.

Back
Top Bottom