Traveling with a chick

Rada j

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Hello to the group! I am a new member here to listen and learn. I am considering raising chickens as I helped my grandmother with hers & really enjoyed it. I'm curious about transporting a single chick on a road trip lasting a week to ten days. Any pointers?

Hello to the group! I am a new member here to listen and learn. I am considering raising chickens as I helped my grandmother with hers & really enjoyed it. I'm curious about transporting a single chick on a road trip lasting a week to ten days. Any pointers?
Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Traveling with chicks is a bit tricky and you need to keep the conditions the same as if you were in a regular brooder no wind warn and keep down on the jostling around so I would only recommend the highway no off road-ding as they are not dogs but do enjoy yourself ..........

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have traveled with parrots in the past and yes, it is stressful on them traveling. 10 days is a long time, especially if this is a very young chick. You would have to make frequent stops and make sure the chick was eating and drinking properly. Some birds get car sick. I personally would say no, this is not a good idea. At least not for a week or 10 days. 1 or 2 days might be ok, but a week is pushing what birds can take in a car.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! How old a chick are you talking about. X3, it would be extremely hard and stressful on a young chick especially, and you would have a difficult time meeting its heat requirements etc. If you were traveling in a motor home or something similar you might be able to pull it off.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, very young chick. Would be pampered & held by a friend in the back seat the whole way. Still have my doubts.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I would not recommend trying to travel on a week to 10 day trip with a chick for the reasons stated by other BYC members. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chickens.

NO, I can't condone it for any reason. Air conditioned car, pot holes, etc. A friend holding it all the time on the backseat isn't going to work. The chick will potty, it won't be warm enough being held, it won't get nap time because it's too uncomfortable being held, etc. etc.

It seems like a really arduous way to kill a chick. I'll say no more.

Well, I've already figured out I've wouldn't do it. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom