Treating Bumblefoot

halleyd591

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2017
Statesville, NC
While doing my monthly check up on my girls I noticed something off on the bottom of 2 of their feet. It appeared to be a wart? Perfect circle, hard and loose on the sides but still attached in the middle. I just assumed it to be a calluses but upon research, I assume it to be Bumblefoot. There is no swelling and the "wart/plug" is the same color as the foot. I think I caught it early!
As far as treatment..clean the foot, soak in Epsom Salt, remove the plug, spray with Vetericyn, fill hole with neosporin, place gauze on pad of foot and wrap with VetRap???? Am I missing anything.
They do roost very high (in the rafters of their 4' tall coop on the 2" side of 2x4). There is a sand floor. I do have two other roost bars at different heights but they usually just jump. I assume this is what caused it. Any help here would be great! Any thoughts on treatment appreciated.

I have no knowledge of treating bumblefoot, I haven't had it in any of my birds. Mine will sometimes roost 20 feet up in my shed rafters, so I don't think the height is the problem. I would check roosts for splinters, I always sand my roosts down. I would assume bumblefoot is initially caused by a puncture wound.

Back
Top Bottom