Treating coccidiosis without an antibiotic

Yup. The Vet said she only did dogs and cats and was surprisingly unpleasant about the whole thing. Anyways, the little guy made it through the night and looks slightly more energetic after some buttermilk and apple cider vinegar. I am about to leave to the feed store to grab the corid. Thanks for the help!
A few good vets and lots of bad ones, just like human doctors. I'm glad your bird is still with you. Avoid apple cider vinegar right now. It will only irritate the birds intestinal tract. Once you get the Corid, avoid the buttermilk as it will hinder the effectiveness of the Amprolium in Corid. Other than that buttermilk is a good supplement.

I was able to get some Corid and put it in the only water source. There are two other pullets that are with it so hopefully that will prevent any issues with them. I have another concern however, and am curious what your thoughts are.

These young birds are separated from my laying hens. There is about 3-4 feet between the two runs. How contagious is coccidiosis? Should I be treating my laying hens? If the answer to that is yes, can you eat the eggs of hens you are treating with Corid?

I was able to get some Corid and put it in the only water source. There are two other pullets that are with it so hopefully that will prevent any issues with them. I have another concern however, and am curious what your thoughts are.

These young birds are separated from my laying hens. There is about 3-4 feet between the two runs. How contagious is coccidiosis? Should I be treating my laying hens? If the answer to that is yes, can you eat the eggs of hens you are treating with Corid?
Cocci spreads very fast,i would treat all chickens,it probably is just the pullets not having immunity to the strain in your yard,but i would rather be safe than sorry. If you decide to not treat laying hens,make sure you are diligent in watching for symptoms. As for withdrawal period,there is none,Amprolium is not an antibiotic(it is a thiamine blocker) so no lingering medication.

Last edited:
Great. That is good to know as well. If there is no drawback to treating the hens (meaning we can still eat the eggs) then there is no reason not to treat them. Like you said better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom