Treating coccidiosis without an antibiotic

LeMec

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 30, 2013
So after reading some other posts I have a feeling that I have a cockerel that has coccidiosis. I had one that died with the same symptoms a little over a week ago. I can't seem to get a hold of any Corid. Is there another treatment, or home remedy for this? Unfortunately I don't think he will make it through the night. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

So after reading some other posts I have a feeling that I have a cockerel that has coccidiosis. I had one that died with the same symptoms a little over a week ago. I can't seem to get a hold of any Corid. Is there another treatment, or home remedy for this? Unfortunately I don't think he will make it through the night. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You can usually find Corid(amprolium)at most livestock stores,found in the cattle section. Depending where you live,it may also be called Amprol(amprolium). You can also purchase Corid/Amprol through a vet. In emergency situations for Coccidiosis try giving him dairy products,buttermilk,yogurt,etc. this will help coat the intestines until you get medication.

Good deal. I have some buttermilk in the fridge. I will go try that. I actually called a few vets the nearest one that would see a chicken was about an hour away and wanted $50 for the visit. She wouldn't give me any antibiotics without physically seeing the bird. All the livestock stores are closed at the moment, so I am hoping he can make it through the night until I can locate some Corid in the morning. I read some where else to try some apple cider vinegar in the water, so I did that. Now I will go try the buttermilk. Thanks!

Good deal. I have some buttermilk in the fridge. I will go try that. I actually called a few vets the nearest one that would see a chicken was about an hour away and wanted $50 for the visit. She wouldn't give me any antibiotics without physically seeing the bird. All the livestock stores are closed at the moment, so I am hoping he can make it through the night until I can locate some Corid in the morning. I read some where else to try some apple cider vinegar in the water, so I did that. Now I will go try the buttermilk. Thanks!

Corid(Amprolium) is not an antibiotic,it is a coccidiostat,this might make a difference with your vet. I have never had to make an appointment,i just call ahead to make sure they carry Amprol,and go pick it up. I usually just purchase about 200 ml,never the whole bottle.

Last edited:
Thanks I didn't realize that. I just called the vet again. They don't carry it over the counter and told me to call Big R in the morning. Thanks for the help!

Thanks I didn't realize that. I just called the vet again. They don't carry it over the counter and told me to call Big R in the morning. Thanks for the help!

Honestly some vets!! For future reference,tell them you are treating a cow,if vets are not familiar with treating poultry or do not realize that it can be given to chickens they may tell you no,so say it is for a cow.

Most vets in our country only see and treat dogs and cats. The only cow they know about is the one on the plate at the supper table.
HAHA,so true,i can get all the meds i want for my chickens,but if i need worm medication for my cats it requires a visit. So i tell him i have goats/sheep,etc. i'm sure my vet must think i have a huge farm or that i am crazy.

Many vets and cashiers will offer no one advice for using off label meds, no matter how safe and effective they've proven to be. That's why those who keep poultry have to educate themselves.

Last edited:
Yup. The Vet said she only did dogs and cats and was surprisingly unpleasant about the whole thing. Anyways, the little guy made it through the night and looks slightly more energetic after some buttermilk and apple cider vinegar. I am about to leave to the feed store to grab the corid. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom