Treating conjunctivitis

Theminifarm

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2023
Hi
I saw maybe a couple of weeks ago regarding advice using human conjunctivitis medication to treat poultry and waterfowl but I can’t remember which medication was mentioned could anyone tell me please
Thanks
Mandy UK🇬🇧

It is always best to use one that treats the specific bacteria if that is what is causing the eye problem. Some viruses can also affect the eyes. A vet would have the best advice. Since you are in the UK apparently, a vet may be the only way to get Terramycin (oxytetracycline) or Neosporin ointments or eye drops. Ciprofloxacin eye drops are also good, and those all treat mycoplasma respiratory or bacterial infections. Erythromycin ointment is another one, similar to Terramycin. Humans with cataract surgery are usually given antibiotics drops called ofloxacin. Good luck.

It is always best to use one that treats the specific bacteria if that is what is causing the eye problem. Some viruses can also affect the eyes. A vet would have the best advice. Since you are in the UK apparently, a vet may be the only way to get Terramycin (oxytetracycline) or Neosporin ointments or eye drops. Ciprofloxacin eye drops are also good, and those all treat mycoplasma respiratory or bacterial infections. Erythromycin ointment is another one, similar to Terramycin. Humans with cataract surgery are usually given antibiotics drops called ofloxacin. Good luck.
Thanks that really helps me and good information.
I have been syringing it(without the needle) with homemade saline and it has helped a bit and I have used Terramycin ointment for a few days.
It isn’t worse but yesterday after she rubbed it it bled for a second then stopped.
So because she seems irritated and keeps rubbing it I thought maybe it’s conjunctivitis.

Many times conjunctivitis is due to a respiratory infection, MG, and then treating the infection with a specific oral antibiotic can help clear it up. It can itch or burn, and scratching is common. The saline flush and ointment hopefully, will soothe it enough to stop the scratching/rubbing.

Many times conjunctivitis is due to a respiratory infection, MG, and then treating the infection with a specific oral antibiotic can help clear it up. It can itch or burn, and scratching is common. The saline flush and ointment hopefully, will soothe it enough to stop the scratching/rubbing.
Thanks for your reply
It seems much better today so let’s hope it gets even better
Thank you
Mandy

Back
Top Bottom