Treating Depluming mites under quarantine

And I suspect they will be like that until they molt in the fall. I see broken feathers and the shafts of the feathers still intact in the skin. Those won't be replaced until they molt.

Do you see them still picking at themselves and/or one another or did the diet change correct it?

Just a note here - as mentioned previously in this thread, for treating Depluming Mites (mites that live under the skin, in the feather shaft/quill) are treated with Ivermectin. Permethrin will not treat them since it's not absorbed into the bloodstream like Ivermectin is. Knowing what type of critter (parasite) you are dealing with dictates the type of treatment one needs to use.

Permethrin = effective treatment for poultry lice, common/red mites, northern fowl mites, chiggers and bed bugs.

Ivermectin = treatment of Depluming Mites

Vaseline, Oils, Etc. applied to the legs = treatment of Scaly Leg Mites

Hope that helps :)
Thank you so much for your post! I brought Hilda, the one with the broken feathers down by her tail, to the vet a couple months ago. The vet said that we weren't dealing with any pests, but instead that we needed to make adjustments to their diet. So we did and we've been moving slowly in the right direction since.
I can't help but second-guess, however, because these two chickens still look scraggly. I worry that they are unwell in some way. It's very reassuring to hear you say that the fall molt is when their feathers will grow back in. I don't see any signs of mites. I've checked them at night and their vents look good. Their legs look good, with scales in good shape. It's only their feathers that have me concerned.

And I suspect they will be like that until they molt in the fall. I see broken feathers and the shafts of the feathers still intact in the skin. Those won't be replaced until they molt.

Do you see them still picking at themselves and/or one another or did the diet change correct it?

Just a note here - as mentioned previously in this thread, for treating Depluming Mites (mites that live under the skin, in the feather shaft/quill) are treated with Ivermectin. Permethrin will not treat them since it's not absorbed into the bloodstream like Ivermectin is. Knowing what type of critter (parasite) you are dealing with dictates the type of treatment one needs to use.

Permethrin = effective treatment for poultry lice, common/red mites, northern fowl mites, chiggers and bed bugs.

Ivermectin = treatment of Depluming Mites

Vaseline, Oils, Etc. applied to the legs = treatment of Scaly Leg Mites

Hope that helps :)
It helps a lot and I have followed that advice in the past. Ivermectin made no difference after repeated use. We tried everything BUT...as you said...the feathers won’t regrow until a molt, so it’ll be interesting to see if I get my fluffy birds back in the fall!!! Fingers crossed!! ;)

Thank you so much for your post! I brought Hilda, the one with the broken feathers down by her tail, to the vet a couple months ago. The vet said that we weren't dealing with any pests, but instead that we needed to make adjustments to their diet. So we did and we've been moving slowly in the right direction since.
I can't help but second-guess, however, because these two chickens still look scraggly. I worry that they are unwell in some way. It's very reassuring to hear you say that the fall molt is when their feathers will grow back in. I don't see any signs of mites. I've checked them at night and their vents look good. Their legs look good, with scales in good shape. It's only their feathers that have me concerned.

[Update] I did see little black mites near the egg boxes, so treated w/Permethrin 2 weeks ago and I saw the mites again yesterday when I treated for the second time.

Now, Ruth (previously unaffected) is showing signs of issues with her feathers on chest and around head looking ruffled/ragged.

I'm trying to decide now if I should kick it up to Sevin dust (mites) or ivermectin (blood drinking parasites, such as depluming mites).

Advice? 🙏

I know 😱 I'm going to order the NU Stock today for sure. We do NOT have a rooster. I originally thought that we had a bad case of bullying. They have minor pecking order issues...this is my first flock (they are just under a year old) but I can tell who the mean girls are and who is the lowest in the order. However, the amount of damage I'm seeing, and the areas in which I am seeing it (ie under wings)....it can't all be attributed to damage due to pecking or plucking. They seem to me to be causing the feather loss and breakage themselves, in an attempt to alleviate irritation or itchiness. And the feathers that are damaged just look like they have disintegrated, or have been chewed on...?!?!? We have never seen mites and also have gotten them tested for worms and coccidiosis recently (negative result). I'm at my wits end :barnie:he Thank you for your help and advice in getting nu stock!!!
I am at this stage with my ten girls too. I'm overwhelmed beyond overwhelmed. I am 99.9% convinced that we have depluming mites too. Exact same description as you gave. This is an old thread, how are they now? Have you gotten rid of the mites? How?? Thanks!

I had an issue a few years ago and at first I thought my birds were molting. I checked them and they were loaded with mites. I used permethrin as I previously posted. I used 0.5% ratio. I used permethrin 10. Here is a chart for the different strengths available made by a BYC member. I treated the coops completely everywhere. I use a sprayer with a wand to reach the hard to reach areas and sprayed everywhere. The birds improved and were beautiful again. I treated weekly for a few weeks. I used poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...
casportpony's PermethrinRatiosRev.jpg

Back
Top Bottom