Treating for coccidia and respiratory infection?

HopeWoo

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2023
I had a chicken pass away from what I assume was coccidia. I started the whole flock on corid. Now two of my orpingtons are sneezing and wheezing a little bit. I’ve treated respiratory infections with garlic and ACV in the water before. Am I able to put ACV and garlic in with corid? Has anyone dealt with this before?

Garlic and acv won't do a single thing for a respiratory infection.
What were your bird that passed symptoms and what are you seeing now?
The bird that passed was super lethargic. Scrunched up and rocking slightly. Wouldn’t eat. Wouldn’t respond to stimulation but was still breathing. It happened so quickly. She was fine one day and the next she wasn’t eating. In the morning I found her face down in the wood chips barely hanging on. Ran to tractor supply for corid right as I realized she was sick, and by the time I got home she was gone. These orpingtons are eating and drinking, moving around. Just sneezing and wheezing a little. One kind of sounds like a frog every once in awhile.

Garlic and acv won't do a single thing for a respiratory infection.
What were your bird that passed symptoms and what are you seeing now?
One of the orpingtons had these same symptoms last week. I put ACV in the water, garlic and cayenne pepper. She got better within a couple days. No more sneezing and wheezing. Then a couple days later I lost the other chicken who showed no signs of respiratory infection. Now it seems like the possible respiratory infection is back?

One of the orpingtons had these same symptoms last week. I put ACV in the water, garlic and cayenne pepper. She got better within a couple days. No more sneezing and wheezing. Then a couple days later I lost the other chicken who showed no signs of respiratory infection. Now it seems like the possible respiratory infection is back?
Garlic is actually pretty toxic to chickens, so I'd be very careful with it.
If it's an infection or a respiratory disease, you're going to need antibiotics like amoxacillian.
Any new birds? Any bubbles or mucus?

If it's an infection or a respiratory disease, you're going to need antibiotics like amoxacillian.
No new birds. No bubbles or mucus. Just sneezing and a tiny bit of wheezing. They sound a little raspy

No new birds. No bubbles or mucus. Just sneezing and a tiny bit of wheezing. They sound a little raspy
Is it dusty in your coop? Any ash or de? What's their feed? If they're acting normal other than the wheezing and sneezing, it could be stridor, just dust or food particles in the airway

Is it dusty in your coop? Any ash or de? What's their feed? If they're acting normal other than the wheezing and sneezing, it could be stridor, just dust or food particles in the airway
Not dusty as far as I can tell. No ash or de! I just got them basic starter at TS while I do the corid. Just weird because it’s only the Orpingtons. I did just put vetrx under their wings, and a little on their head and beaks.

Not dusty as far as I can tell. No ash or de! I just got them basic starter at TS while I do the corid. Just weird because it’s only the Orpingtons. I did just put vetrx under their wings, and a little on their head and beaks.
Vet rx may help the symptoms but it's basically just vicks rub for chickens. Did all your birds come from the same place?

Do you mean bubbles in the mouth? If they do have bubbles, what does that mean?

Back
Top Bottom