Treating frostbite

I don't know how to treat frostbite on the feet, but you'd get more responses by making your own thread in this section.

This is Frostbite? What can I do for treating this level of severity? View attachment 1678169 View attachment 1678170
View attachment 1678169 View attachment 1678170
Oh my. You need to make sure your birds have a clean dry floor. She might recover but she might be handicapped after this. Heres what you need to do:
  1. Remove from cold immediately and ensure the rest of your birds have clean and dry conditions
  2. Soak her feet in epsom salts. Id recommended a half hour. Keep the water lukewarm not hot.
  3. I'd recommend a salve or balm. You can buy Green Goo (i think thats the brand) or make your own: https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2017/11/homemade-herbal-frostbite-salve-for.html?m=1. I would try aloe vera since its non toxic if you dont have either. Vetricyn would work as well.
She might lose a toe...or limb. It is important that you monitor for signs of infection. Best of luck to you and remember that prevention is key.

As to the OP im glad shes making a recovery. I was concerned when i hadnt seen a post in a while. Keep doing what youre doing and be sure to introduce her back slowly. Theyve probably forgotten about her now and will more than likely attack her when you return her

Oh my. You need to make sure your birds have a clean dry floor. She might recover but she might be handicapped after this. Heres what you need to do:
  1. Remove from cold immediately and ensure the rest of your birds have clean and dry conditions
  2. Soak her feet in epsom salts. Id recommended a half hour. Keep the water lukewarm not hot.
  3. I'd recommend a salve or balm. You can buy Green Goo (i think thats the brand) or make your own: https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2017/11/homemade-herbal-frostbite-salve-for.html?m=1. I would try aloe vera since its non toxic if you dont have either. Vetricyn would work as well.
She might lose a toe...or limb. It is important that you monitor for signs of infection. Best of luck to you and remember that prevention is key.

As to the OP im glad shes making a recovery. I was concerned when i hadnt seen a post in a while. Keep doing what youre doing and be sure to introduce her back slowly. Theyve probably forgotten about her now and will more than likely attack her when you return her
Good suggestions. I don't know if chickenmomoh2 will see your post, you may want to visit her on the thread she started
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bad-feet-worse-foot.1292625/

I don't want to sound negative, but for the sake of being able to follow my own thread I would appreciate that folks who have their own frostbite cases don't hijack my thread and instead make their own.

I don't want to sound negative, but for the sake of being able to follow my own thread I would appreciate that folks who have their own frostbite cases don't hijack my thread and instead make their own.
Shes still In the Brooder. She didnt know. She probably joined just to help her girl out. I understand how you feel but you must understand that it is our responsibility to be a good BYC citizen and address all questions accordingly. I appreciate your continued posts and we are all rooting for your girl. Part of BYC is to help others who are also chicken owners and provide them with the information they need to succeed. Perhaps after your experience with severe frostbite you could write an article to help others.

Shes still In the Brooder. She didnt know. She probably joined just to help her girl out. I understand how you feel but you must understand that it is our responsibility to be a good BYC citizen and address all questions accordingly. I appreciate your continued posts and we are all rooting for your girl. Part of BYC is to help others who are also chicken owners and provide them with the information they need to succeed. Perhaps after your experience with severe frostbite you could write an article to help others.
I get it. But I would still like to keep my thread on track. Enough said.

Back
Top Bottom