treating leg mites in volume update..problem toe

That's exactly what I put on her after I took the pics! I thought and thought what to put on there and it just seemed sensible to use that. Her body heat melted it and it seemed to soak in well.
sharon

Im sorry for not getting on here soon, I just noticed this thread. It seems that everything is well under control. May I suggest to keep their toenail growth under control putting a cement or stone walkway paving block next to their feeder. When the go to eat the will scratch on the stone and it will really help so their toenails might not need to be trimmed again.

Hi, I thought that I would do something like that. I have some garden pavers that I could use. I am thinking that maybe having sore toes might have discouraged them from scratching? They also were on hard compacted dirt so I wasn't sure if that had any thing to do with it or not. It did seem the ones with the worst mites had the longest toenails. I am going to bring some sand in this week or after Christmas to combat the mud issues and maybe to encourage scratching.
sharon

You might try collecting a bag or two of fallen leaves and dump that in their run. Chickens LOVE scratching through leaves! Or grass clippings. Being on compacted, hard dirt with nothing to scratch through probably did as much as the leg mites to discourage scratching. Concrete pavers by their feed is a great idea too. Put them around their water too. This will also keep a lot of dirt and debris out of the food & water.

Back
Top Bottom