treating leg mites in volume update..problem toe

I would contact the organization that funds the historic farm. Diplomatically ask whether or not they would be willing to pay someone to help you treat the birds. You might remind them that keeping birds w/ a contagious condition that is not being treated is certainly not in the best interest of the foundation/park system or whatever.
Good Luck, I feel your frustration! Thank you for trying to be a part of the solution.

I feel like a dork saying this but I adopted a Silkie Roo with HORRIBLE Leg mites a couple years ago, his feet & legs were just enormously deformed from them... I treated & cured them with just Vaseline, I applied it everyday and apparently it suffocates & kills the mites? Of course this method is unreasonable for your situation but could help small flock owners dealing with Scaley Leg Mites.
idunno.gif

I wonder if DMSO work to cure Scaley Leg Mites? I recently bought some from the feed store to help with pain & inflammation on a calf that i adopted. It's a sulfer drug though(Dimethyl Sulfoxide)...?

Quote:

I have a question-----please don't think I'm stupid. I have some TMG left over from before I re-homes my 2 horses last spring. I know it has tar in it, so would it be good to treat my chickens legs with for mites? Don't know if there is anything in it that would be harmful------just a thought I had............
hu.gif

Okay so I am excited. I was able to see the man who oversees the Pioneer Settlement. I was just up front with him that the condition of the chickens' legs was so bad I couldn't walk off and not say anything. He was thrilled that I would be willing to help with the chickens. The other man (in the cart) Uncle Bob (seriously) was a city slicker and didn't know how to take care of chickens. I am going Thurs night at dusk to treat them. I guess I will use vaseline and I am going to put a couple drops of pour on ivomec on them to boot. I also told him that I felt like I need to take the three with the worst problem home with me and treat them separately. They are missing major parts of their toes...I am thinking they may never return to the flock. So....now I have till Thurs to build a quarantine pen for them. No telling what all they have. What is the suggested distance from my chickens for these poor things. I was thinking to build them a small pen on the other side of the house. I am going to put them in a double decker rabbit hutch inside my laundry room to start with.

Welasharon,
That is good news! Good luck with the undertaking, and please keep us posted on the progress.
Be careful not to cross-contaminate your birds!

Last edited:
Thanks I will! There are turkeys in the pen with them also. Do they get scaly leg mites also? Oh lordy I hadn't thought about them. They are so big...
sharon

Thanks for this info. I have treated with wd40 and vasiline and have to do it often when i see an outbreak. I am heading to the feed store tomorrow for this along with wormer. Thanks for the info!
Quote:
I used Ivermectin for my roo when I got him. He had horrible scaley let mites. I have an Avian vet, treats only birds, including chickens. She told me to use 1 part injectable ivermecting (cattle) to 2 parts water. Then you apply it to the legs. I use a little paint brush. She told me that only one application is necessary, but I repeat in one week, just in case. I tried soaking his legs in warm water and all that, didn't make a difference for him. He is part Silkie, and with his leg mites, he had a few hair shafts poking out through all the yuck, but no feathers. When I started treating his legs, the area where the shafts were, actually started bleeding, they were so irritated from the mites. Anyway, within a couple of weeks, all the scabby yuck came off and now he has feathers on his feet and legs! About a month ago, I noticed what looked like a few raised scales on one of my hens, so I went ahead and treated all my chickens, using the same procedure. Went out in the evening with a flashlight and a chair ( a red light would of been much easier!
tongue.png
) and painted everyone's legs. Time consuming, yes, but very, very effective, and easy. You can get injectable ivermectin at your feedstore. A 50ml bottle cost me about $45.00. I know how hard it is deciding what to say to someone who's animals need better care. The people I got my roo from are my next door neighbors. ALL of their chickens, except the really young ones, have really bad scaley leg mites, and they have over 40 chickens!. I just bite my tongue with that one. They have owned chickens for years and years, and didn't even know what Marek's disease was until I lost a hen to it last winter and told them about it. Their teenage daughter kind of runs the show over their, and of course, she knows "everything", so I don't even bother. I just make sure our chickens don't mingle with theirs. Don't get me wrong, they are nice people and we get along just fine. They are just not the most informed in the area of animal care. I think that is great that you are considering helping these chickens out. Hopefully, the owners appreciate your efforts. Good luck.

Vetrx works great but if they are really bad you need to soak their feet and get some off then treat. How far is this place from polk county? maybe some of us locally can come help you?? I am sure Debra aka floridamama would come with me if it is not tooo far. I have a vw bus that seat 7 so if we all pull together maybe we can come down.

Just a thought not sure if anyone will come but worth throwing it out there. of course if it's not really far from us. maybe putting a thread needing byc helpers near you would pull some people???

Back
Top Bottom