treating leg mites in volume update..problem toe

I have the pour on ivomec and thought I would put it on these tonight. I am going to oil them three times a day for a few days to see if I can get the feet cleaned as quick as possible. I am afraid to use a brush. I am not sure more toe loss is not inevitable but I don't want to force it. I am massaging them each time. I am going back out today to look at a few that seemed pretty bad last night. It was hard to see just how bad they were. They have not, I don't think lost any toes, but there are some very crusted and others very swollen looking. I think they need ivomec also. I am going to go back Sunday and reoil them all.
sharon

Those are some nice looking birds til you look at the feet and then ya wanna cry!
hit.gif

They look like OEGB, maybe mixed, but so pretty!
I am so glad the couple is cooperating with their treatment and really do want to do what's best for the birds.

hugs.gif
to you for being so compassionate as to work so hard to help, I know how much time, expense and effort you must be putting out for them.

Well I went today and checked on them. Brought home a fourth one like these three but everybody else seemed okay. I am going again Sunday night and reoil everybody again and then starting mid-week I think I will just keep doing the worst ones. And I will start cutting the toenails back a little at a time. Already I have massaged oil into the feet of the ones I have here four times and it is amazing how much is coming off. I am not pulling anything off that is stuck but I am testing it with my fingernail to see if it is loose. It is odd how this stuff is. It is extremely hard and scaly and makes the toes very rigid. You know how if you pick a chicken up and put your hand under its foot the toes will curl around your hand? Well their toes (what toes they have) don't move at all. They are rigid. I hope when I get all this hard stuff off they will be able to move them again? They walk flat footed now.

ETA I appreciate your suggestions and help!
sharon

Last edited:
Things are looking much better now. I have really been working with their feet but still haven't been able to get all the hardened part off yet but I am much closer than before. They are starting to get some mobility back to their toes which I was afraid would not happen so that is encouraging. I read that they could have mites on their heads as well so I checked Peggy's head. She really looked very red and scabby on her head and once I looked I am pretty sure that is what is wrong with her head so I oiled it. That or she has mange!
sharon

Just think how nice and soft your hands will be when this is all over! Great news that their toes are coming back to life. They must all feel so much better. I really like the looks of that little red roo--adorable! All this talk about mites...I need to go out and check mine again. I had a run-in with them when I brought some new birds in this spring. Good thing my new headlight lamp has a red bulb option...I was wondering what in the world I would use that for--now I know! Thanks! Terri O

i just noticed my frizzle cochin roo had led mites and when i went to treat him he had them all the way up his legs,and i saw blood.i felt like such a bad chicken mom.
hit.gif
then i noticed some of my other feather legged chickens had them,so me and the dh treated with canola oil spray and i tried to massage it in.if i did that friday evening when should i do it again?

Most of the chickens I am going to treat every four days. I will stop as the scabby stuff is off. Some are going to take a few times I think. The ones I brought home I am treating multiple times a day. I think I will go to just one REALLY good soaking with oil and scab picking once a day from here on out on them but I think it will take a couple weeks at least to get them clean. That stuff crusts up and hardens so hard that I have had to take wire clippers and scrape the top of the crust to get the oil to soak in enough to get it off without pulling skin off. I tell you I am going to just routinely oil my own chickens feet twice a year just in case. It won't hurt them any and I cannot tell any oil is on their feathers at all. It seems to just soak in. Even the silkies and other feathered leg ones didn't look oily at all. It doesn't take long for them to get bad.
sharon

Went tonight ahead of the rains and dipped their feet again. On quite a few I was able to roll/encourage some of the crusty stuff to turn loose. I was surprised that more wasn't coming off though. Yesterday I took the four I brought here and really worked them over...rubbing and oiling and got a lot off. I am thinking that since they are so very bad that it is going to take extended soaking to get that stuff loose. I am going to go back and put ivomec pour on on them and show the lady how to work the oil in. I also need to cut some nails. Almost all of them have extremely long nails. Do you think that having such horrible crusted feet somehow keeps them from scratching like they should to keep the nails wore down? Some of the nails are a good two inches or more long. This is not going to be a quick fix.
sharon

Quote:
if you take the Ivomec pour on and place 3 drops to bantams and 4-5 drops to standard sized inbetween the shoulders on there backs. of there whole intire flock you can treat this problem alot faster also you can trim those toes all the way back to there original size. I took on about 20 birds just like these from an elderly lady who was to sick to treat her birds she couldn't even get out of her house since she doesn't have her wheelchair ramp installed yet. Her grandson was feeding them and watering them but thats about it. several of these birds I have have missing toes and there legs look just as bad. Or should I say looked. I used vicks vapor rub on there legs and Ivomec Pour on on there shoulders I have yet to have to retreat them, and there legs are so nice and healthy looking even the bands I placed on them are falling off since there legs arent as swollen now. MM Poultry Farms Matthew.

Back
Top Bottom